01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by rsn48
I know this sounds pretty basic but I'm looking for the "easiest" way to change water - so how do you do it.
1. How do you keep your water "stored" until you use it?
2. When or do you treat it before it goes into the aquarium?
3. How do you get it up to temperature?
4. How do you drain the old stuff off without getting bored while the bucket fills up and spills over?
5. What equipment do you use?
1,2,3. I use five gallon bottles that you store drinking water in. I fill them up in the bathtub, add conditioner to the bottles, check the temp periodically as the bottles fill (with thermometer but I'm going to try it by hand next time). I store it there during the wc then bring it out to the room when i need it.
4,5. I vaccuum the gravel the entire time, so I don't get bored. But it's only a 29 gallon tank so that's just 10-12 gallons each wc.
5. gravel vac (just a tube with a wider attachment at the end, i syphon it by hand), a five gallon bucket for waste water (dump it down toilet) and two five gallon bottles for new water.
TOTAL TIME: 20-25 minutes. Twice a week. = happy fish.