Originally Posted by Deku
Good Cause Iam extremely paranoid when it comes to cleaning out a used tank, Ived used bleach before. But donno ifI should have. Iam thinking Id use bleach, table salt( I hear it also kills stuff), and boiling hot water. Id leave it sit out for like 1hour or so and then repeat process. Id probably waste a whole bottle on it just to make sure there is no single nook and cranny that contains bacteria or parasites. I may have to do this with the filter. Iam thinking of doing this for my turtle tanks when I reset them(I reset them every 2 years or so and its almost time for one of those).
I found my water quality is hard and alkaline, anything I can do to lower it to neutral? I was told drift wood may do this. Or how can I prevent hard calcium stains? I mean i have this magnetic pad that scrubs out algea. It sometimes gets out the hard calcium stains. Problem is, it may be too strong cause I once got my finger stuck between it and lets just say it hurt more than my turtles bite.
Though how do I clean out the sand without baking it? Viniger? I finally fixed my extra fluvals but they need a thorough cleaning. Cause they were given to me by a man I know. He used them for his red eared slider he got off nyc(that means it must be loaded with parasites and bacteria). So I wonder how Can I clean out everything in it? Theres also the stand. But I made it myself and its painted black. What about the foods that were used for the previous fish? Should I throw them out? Id like to keep atleast some sinking pellets and the freeze dried plankton. What about the light fixtures? How do I clean those without causing a possible shock hazard? Heaters? Can I fully submerge an "air pump" under water and try to clean it out with that? Just in case theres any bacteria? Or would this hurt the equipment???? Is there a way to clean it out throughly and disinfecting it without using chemicals? also I thought viniger wasnt bad for fish. I thought it lowered the ph or hardness. I used it once on a fish tank as a test and it never killed the fish???
Don't place the air pump under water. they are designed to sit outside the tank and internal parts are not meant to get wet.
Toss the food if it is past expiration date. If you can't find expiration date,toss it.
Run the bath tub half full of water ,add about a half gallon of vinegar and clean everything and rinse everything well.
Take comfort that if everything has been dry ,or is allowed to dry over a week,that bacteria and or parasites will long be dead ,harmless.
If the tank,filters etc have been dry for long, the chances of bacteria or parasites surviving are next to zero.
Take the sand or gravel and use a plastic bucket or tub, and rinse it with plain old hot water or warm water several times, Do this outside if possible.Don't pour the water from sand or gravel down the drain in the house .
Buy new filter material for the inside of canister filters pads,sponges,carbon.
If the filters hold biological media,bio balls,ceramic noodles or beads,, then rinse these too under warm to hot water and allow them to dry and they can be re-used if you like.
Clean the light fixture with a spray bottle of water and vinegar and a scotch brite pad or brush and then wipe it all down with damp sponge and let dry completely.
Don't spray anything inside vents on light fixture..
As mentioned,, once everything that was used in an aquarium has been allowed to dry out for more than a week, there is little chance that bacterial pathogens or parasites exist. Just give evrything a good scrub and rinse well before allowing it to dry.
If you bought the tank dry,, then cleaning and rinsing will be all you need to worry bout in my view.