How do i keep clean water? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » How do i keep clean water?

How do i keep clean water?

This is a discussion on How do i keep clean water? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I will be getting the water tested soon...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Hoplo Catfish
Hoplo Catfish
Red Phantom Tetra
Red Phantom Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
How do i keep clean water?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
I will be getting the water tested soon
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Do you have the results of your water test? the test may give us an answer to you algae problem.

Why do you buy the jug water? Is your tap water unsafe to use?

I do weekly 25-50% water changes on all my tanks every week. I believe clean water is the answer to a lot of tank related problems.

& Glad to hear it was just rain!

Edit....
You already answered my question. Take some tap water as well. There may be no reason to spend money on jugs of water.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistersmom View Post
Do you have the results of your water test? the test may give us an answer to you algae problem.

Why do you buy the jug water? Is your tap water unsafe to use?

I do weekly 25-50% water changes on all my tanks every week. I believe clean water is the answer to a lot of tank related problems.

& Glad to hear it was just rain!

Edit....
You already answered my question. Take some tap water as well. There may be no reason to spend money on jugs of water.
I haven't gotten the results back yet but i should get it by 9pm EST tonight. The water around here is very hard and unsafe for my fishes. so thats why i get the juged water. if i could use the tap water, the water changes wouldnt be so bad. so i dont know.
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
I think it would me more important to know the ph of your tap water, instead of the hardness.

I have very hard water as well, with a ph of 7.8 ppm.

Most fish do just fine in my water, though I do avoid any sensitive fish that prefer a low ph.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
 
well green water is algae... the most common solution for quick reduction is a blackout. However if your water parameter isnt corrected or lighting corrected itll come right back. i replace the foam in my filters once every... 2 or 3 months... take them out, rinse them and put em back in. Rinse with aquarium water. Also aquarium salt is bad for your tank unless your treating your tank for sumthing. If you ahve no live plants, a good nitrate reduction method is duckweed. for its size it soaks up nitrates like mad. However it does cover the entir etop of oyur tank, so you will need to do a little maintenece on removing some duckweed whenever u change water or sumthin. Lastly do you gravel vac? Food and poop get into the substrate and generate nitrates. IF you vac it up itll help keep your level down. If possible do a 10-15% water change weekly.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #16
 
Stop changing the filter pads too. There is no reason to do that as it can harm the cycle. The box tells you to do it every so often cuz they want $. A foam insert will work until it is falling apart. To clean it rinse it in old tank water.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistersmom View Post
I think it would me more important to know the ph of your tap water, instead of the hardness.

I have very hard water as well, with a ph of 7.8 ppm.

Most fish do just fine in my water, though I do avoid any sensitive fish that prefer a low ph.
i finally got a test kit and i even tested the tap water. we have the same water ph level you do but we do have very hard water. so i'm just gonna use the old jugs of water and add tap water instead and just use the aquasafe.
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #18
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
well green water is algae... the most common solution for quick reduction is a blackout. However if your water parameter isnt corrected or lighting corrected itll come right back. i replace the foam in my filters once every... 2 or 3 months... take them out, rinse them and put em back in. Rinse with aquarium water. Also aquarium salt is bad for your tank unless your treating your tank for sumthing. If you ahve no live plants, a good nitrate reduction method is duckweed. for its size it soaks up nitrates like mad. However it does cover the entir etop of oyur tank, so you will need to do a little maintenece on removing some duckweed whenever u change water or sumthin. Lastly do you gravel vac? Food and poop get into the substrate and generate nitrates. IF you vac it up itll help keep your level down. If possible do a 10-15% water change weekly.
Thanks soo much for that advice i will do that :). by the way every time i do a water change i do vacume the floor to remove all the junk from the bottom.
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Stop changing the filter pads too. There is no reason to do that as it can harm the cycle. The box tells you to do it every so often cuz they want $. A foam insert will work until it is falling apart. To clean it rinse it in old tank water.
Even if the pads are completely Greened up? i shouldnt change them just clean them?
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
 
RascalGoneWild's Avatar
 
Water tested results are in!!
Ph: 8.4
Nitrate: 40
Nitrite: .5
Hardness: 300.
Alkalinity: 300.

Alright those are the results.
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with water change and gravel clean thechaser09 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 09-11-2009 05:41 PM
clean water and green algae?? conger Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 0 11-23-2008 08:50 PM
How to clean leftovers w/o massive water changes drag Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 05-22-2007 05:19 PM
Gravel: To DEEP clean or NOT to deep clean... Mr.Todd Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 04-24-2007 09:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.