horse face loach with normal gravel ?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » horse face loach with normal gravel ?

horse face loach with normal gravel ?

This is a discussion on horse face loach with normal gravel ? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> hi all has anyone ever kept horse faced loach with normal gravel not fine gravel or sand ? if so how did it go ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
horse face loach with normal gravel ?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
 
horse face loach with normal gravel ?

hi all

has anyone ever kept horse faced loach with normal gravel not fine gravel or sand ?

if so how did it go where they ok and did they find hiding spots ok?

im thinking of getting 4-5 and want to be sure they are ok with normal gravel as i can not and will not change my gravel for them

i already have weather loach and they seem fine without it and are very healthy
madyotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I had a group in a very fine gravel that was actually called "sand gravel." This was back in the 1980's, and I have never seen this "sand" since. I don't have it any longer because when I moved cities back then I had to give up my tanks, and I started over several years later. But from what I can remember the grain size was slightly larger than true sand, but not much.

The Horseface loach were fine in this, but bear in mind it was basically coarse sand. This fish does indeed completely bury itself, only the eyes are visible but they are hard to find as they are dark and about the size of a sand grain.

I would never subject this fish to gravel larger than coarse sand.

Don't know if the intention was to keep these two loaches in the same tank, but that isn't possible. There is a significant temperature difference for the weather loach which must be in cooler than tropical temperatures.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I had a group in a very fine gravel that was actually called "sand gravel." This was back in the 1980's, and I have never seen this "sand" since. I don't have it any longer because when I moved cities back then I had to give up my tanks, and I started over several years later. But from what I can remember the grain size was slightly larger than true sand, but not much.

The Horseface loach were fine in this, but bear in mind it was basically coarse sand. This fish does indeed completely bury itself, only the eyes are visible but they are hard to find as they are dark and about the size of a sand grain.

I would never subject this fish to gravel larger than coarse sand.

Don't know if the intention was to keep these two loaches in the same tank, but that isn't possible. There is a significant temperature difference for the weather loach which must be in cooler than tropical temperatures.

Byron.
golden weather loach is classed by most as subtropical mine are in full tropical setup and are fine i already have the weather loach they are the most fascinating thing in my tank other than my 2 silver sharks of corse :P

my gravel is far bigger than what you speak of it wouldn't be able to bury but i have lots!!!! of hiding spaces this is why i ask

so you say horse face with large gravel it cant dig in is not a good idea ?
madyotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madyotto View Post
golden weather loach is classed by most as subtropical mine are in full tropical setup and are fine i already have the weather loach they are the most fascinating thing in my tank other than my 2 silver sharks of corse :P

my gravel is far bigger than what you speak of it wouldn't be able to bury but i have lots!!!! of hiding spaces this is why i ask

so you say horse face with large gravel it cant dig in is not a good idea ?
Correct, the last sentence. This loach must bury itself in the substrate; hiding in wood or caves is not what it does, it swims to a spot and then quickly disappears into the substrate. It will remain there for hours, presumably waiting to ambush prey. And they get a decent size, so it needs room.

As for the temperature for Golden Weather Loach, assuming the species is Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, both Loaches Online (highly reliable site) and Seriously Fish (likewise) give 77F as the upper limit. But no fish should ever be maintained permanently at the upper end of its temperature range, as biologist Matt Ford writes:
Can apparently tolerate a temperature range of 5 25C/41 77F but for general care a value between 17.8 23.3C/64 74F is recommended. This is not a tropical species and should not be maintained as such for extended periods of time.
Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Correct, the last sentence. This loach must bury itself in the substrate; hiding in wood or caves is not what it does, it swims to a spot and then quickly disappears into the substrate. It will remain there for hours, presumably waiting to ambush prey. And they get a decent size, so it needs room.

As for the temperature for Golden Weather Loach, assuming the species is Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, both Loaches Online (highly reliable site) and Seriously Fish (likewise) give 77F as the upper limit. But no fish should ever be maintained permanently at the upper end of its temperature range, as biologist Matt Ford writes:
Can apparently tolerate a temperature range of 5 25C/41 77F but for general care a value between 17.8 23.3C/64 74F is recommended. This is not a tropical species and should not be maintained as such for extended periods of time.
Byron.
i know all to well how well they hide lol i worked in my lfs and had to do 2 tank migrates and it took almost 20 mins to catch 6 in a small tank lol

the burying its self is talked about on the net as a defense mechanism but i think you are correct because i doubt they have studied them in there natural habitat

my tank has a new design of a thermostat in that it doesn't keep the temp too, strict varies between 72 and 79 over the space of 12 hours so it is always in a good range for my tropical fish but suits some so called sub tropical a lot better than most thermostats as it allows tank too cool a little for the more cold water type fish also it is not made of glass but a none containment metal cant think which one it does vary slightly constantly like any other tho of course :P

i was just thinking that the weather loach is said to have to bury but they are very happy as far as i can tell and are also very active

so i was thinking that it could be done with these but also in the back of my mind they also clean very small gravel in there mouth and spit it out of there gills very interesting to watch but if they where to try this with my large slightly sharp gravel then it could injure them self so i thought it better to seek advise i pritty much knew the answer tho thanks very much for your time and effort
madyotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse Face Loaches Plumkin Freshwater and Tropical Fish 21 02-18-2011 05:00 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.