Hints for catching fish?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Hints for catching fish?

Hints for catching fish?

This is a discussion on Hints for catching fish? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> So when the time comes to net my Leporinus, how in the world do I do that in a heavily planted tank with tons ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dojo Loach
Dojo Loach
Paradise Fish
Paradise Fish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Hints for catching fish?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Hints for catching fish?

So when the time comes to net my Leporinus, how in the world do I do that in a heavily planted tank with tons of hiding spots? any hints welcome.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
 
Saw this crude diagram for a fish trap made out of a 2 liter bottle. You just put food in there and lay it on its side and the fish swim right in.

CaliforniaFishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper View Post
Saw this crude diagram for a fish trap made out of a 2 liter bottle. You just put food in there and lay it on its side and the fish swim right in.

Seriously? I wonder if that would work for the Leporinus, they are pretty big already. I set the net in there thinking they would calm down and come out of hiding. Everyone else was literally swimming into the net and hanging out but not the Leporinus, nope, they kept hiding. I swear they were sticking their tongues out at me. How in the world do they know that they are the targets?

Why could they not swim out of the hole they just swam into?
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Seriously? I wonder if that would work for the Leporinus, they are pretty big already. I set the net in there thinking they would calm down and come out of hiding. Everyone else was literally swimming into the net and hanging out but not the Leporinus, nope, they kept hiding. I swear they were sticking their tongues out at me. How in the world do they know that they are the targets?

Why could they not swim out of the hole they just swam into?
I would be lying in wait with something to cover the hole... Maybe try fasting them the day before you try and catch them? It doesn't hurt the fish and some people even fast their fish once a week for improved digestion.
CaliforniaFishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
 
ElectricBlueJackDempsey's Avatar
 
if you have 2 medium sized nets, just set them in the tank and wait till the Leporinus comes out and quickly corner him. Thats what I did with my clown loach
ElectricBlueJackDempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
 
Inga's Avatar
 
That is exactly what I have been trying to do but they just keep going back into hiding the second I move. They must have better eye sight then the other fish or something. They are naturally more wary of movement then the Barbs or Gourami. Heck, the Gourami was like "you want to take me?" and kept swimming in the net. That poses another issue.

With the trap idea, what if a bunch of fish go in the trap? I mean, won't they freak and hurt each other? Has anyone tried that method?
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
 
bones14's Avatar
 
I use 2 nets to catch them.Hold one net in place and use the other one to coax the fish toward it.Don't move it until they get close enough.It beats chasing them all over the tank with one net and stressing out the fish.You just have to take your time and be patient.
bones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
What I did was to drain the water level down to net "height" and then used the two net method, with lots of patience. I still ended up having to move some of my driftwood and did trash a few of my plants.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
What I did was to drain the water level down to net "height" and then used the two net method, with lots of patience. I still ended up having to move some of my driftwood and did trash a few of my plants.
That is what I was afraid of. I have had to move my tank around so much I am surprised my fish are still alive. Not to mention surprised I have any plants left at all. They will get a reprieve for tonight but If I see any more aggression, the tank is getting drained and the pots, plants wood and Leporinus are all coming out.

I can deal with the killing of plants, not that I am happy about it, but I can't deal with chasing down other fish to kill. Yup, I am a wimp.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
That is what I was afraid of. I have had to move my tank around so much I am surprised my fish are still alive. Not to mention surprised I have any plants left at all. They will get a reprieve for tonight but If I see any more aggression, the tank is getting drained and the pots, plants wood and Leporinus are all coming out.

I can deal with the killing of plants, not that I am happy about it, but I can't deal with chasing down other fish to kill. Yup, I am a wimp.
Try the trap <,<
CaliforniaFishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time fish owner, can I get some hints? Esperanza Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 02-26-2010 02:49 PM
Catching fish lostpanther Saltwater Fish 4 10-27-2007 05:00 PM
tactic of catching fish clownfish88 Saltwater Fish 9 04-30-2007 05:07 PM
Trapping/Catching fish..... MarineMan150 Saltwater Fish 5 01-28-2007 08:00 PM
CATCHING FISH IN A REEF TANK Civilian Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 09-05-2006 12:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.