high nitrites - did I start a new cycle?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » high nitrites - did I start a new cycle?

high nitrites - did I start a new cycle?

This is a discussion on high nitrites - did I start a new cycle? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi, I have 2 molly's in a 10 gallon tank and added 3 danio glofish to the tank (I was told that was fine ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Zebra Danio
Zebra Danio
Checkerboard Cichlid
Checkerboard Cichlid
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
high nitrites - did I start a new cycle?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
 
high nitrites - did I start a new cycle?

Hi,

I have 2 molly's in a 10 gallon tank and added 3 danio glofish to the tank (I was told that was fine - correct or not - and that is what I did).

The tank was cycled before the molly's and stayed that way with these numbers:
ammonia 0.25 (really never ever goes lower)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Then come the glofish and currently I have
Ammonia 0.25 (was 0.5 - I added more safestart which seems to have lowered it)
Nitrite 8 (as high as the test will show)
Nitrate (did not get to check yet)

When I first cycled the tank when the ammonia was 0.25 the nitrite was immediately zero (such that I wasn't sure the reagent was even working).

So...I guess the glofish induced some cycle where the bacteria are converting ammonia to nitrites but there are not enough bacteria to process the extra nitrite load?? Does that sound right?

While I am waiting for this situation to fix itself, do I need to do daily water changes?

Anything else I can do to help the situation?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
BWG
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
So...I guess the glofish induced some cycle where the bacteria are converting ammonia to nitrites but there are not enough bacteria to process the extra nitrite load?? Does that sound right?
Yes, it sounds right, alright I don't think you were cycled to begin with. 5 glofish is a lot for a 10 gallon. As said in your other thread you are overstocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
While I am waiting for this situation to fix itself, do I need to do daily water changes?
Yes, you need to be doing water changes daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
Anything else I can do to help the situation?
I'm almost sure this isn't what you want to hear since this was the advice on your last thread about much the same thing (cycling issues), but you could return the fish. I'm not trying to jump on your case, but you are overstocked. You're allowed to make mistakes, everyone does. It's what you do about those mistakes that matters more.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterguy View Post
Yes, it sounds right, alright I don't think you were cycled to begin with. 5 glofish is a lot for a 10 gallon. As said in your other thread you are overstocked.



Yes, you need to be doing water changes daily.



I'm almost sure this isn't what you want to hear since this was the advice on your last thread about much the same thing (cycling issues), but you could return the fish. I'm not trying to jump on your case, but you are overstocked. You're allowed to make mistakes, everyone does. It's what you do about those mistakes that matters more.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, if I need to return the fish, then what is the goal of the daily water changes? Or is there a chance that daily water changes will allow the tank to finish cycling while keeping the fish safe?

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, if I need to return the fish, then what is the goal of the daily water changes? Or is there a chance that daily water changes will allow the tank to finish cycling while keeping the fish safe?

Thanks,
Juggernaut
If you don't want to return the fish listen carefully since I'm about to give you a piece of advice I wish I had when I first started. First of all, you might not have sufficient bacteria in your tank to keep up with the bio-load therefor your tank is overstocked. You can try to increase the bacteria in your tank by having more area for them to multiply. The first thing I will tell you is to go to AngelsPlus.com and buy an "active sponge filter" that will come with bio established bacteria and will cycle your tank in no time. Plus by adding another sponge filter you will have more area for the BB colonies to grow.

While you wait for your wonderful life saving active filter, monitor your parameters every single day. And yes! You need to keep doing daily water changes to keep ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down, until you have more Beneficial Bacteria in your tank. Goldfish are messy fish, so 5 in a 10 gallon tank is going to be enough border line.

Good luck!
Idonthaveanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
BWG
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, if I need to return the fish, then what is the goal of the daily water changes? Or is there a chance that daily water changes will allow the tank to finish cycling while keeping the fish safe?

Thanks,
Juggernaut
The point of the water changes is to keep the fish alive, until you see if you can return them. 4 ppm nitrites are lethal. You've obviously researched the ammonia cycle (kudos for that, btw) and know that already. You're just looking for the answer that you want to hear and I don't want to give it.

Daily water changes will not fix the stocking issues. The glofish need more space becuse they are active. The mollies need even more. I don't even know the sex of your mollies, but if you have a male and a female that in itself is bad. Both because liverbearers have lots of babies and because one male liverbearer will torment a single female. Livebearers should be kept two females to one male, something that can't be accomplished in a tank too small for even one.

Molly
Danio rerio

Last edited by BWG; 09-09-2013 at 07:23 PM..
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Unfortunately, your tank seems to have perhaps never cycled, as any ammonia in the tank means that it hasn't finished. I'm not sure why that is, but bacteria can be a fickle thing. I agree with the advice blackwaterguy has given you.

As the the ammonia never lowering, have you checked your tap water for ammonia?
I'm sorry you've had so much trouble in this venture.

If you return the fish, we can suggest more suitable species (such as male guppies, a betta, etc.)
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterguy View Post
The point of the water changes is to keep the fish alive, until you see if you can return them. 4 ppm nitrites are lethal. You've obviously researched the ammonia cycle (kudos for that, btw) and know that already. You're just looking for the answer that you want to hear and I don't want to give it.

Daily water changes will not fix the stocking issues. The glofish need more space becuse they are active. The mollies need even more. I don't even know the sex of your mollies, but if you have a male and a female that in itself is bad. Both because liverbearers have lots of babies and because one male liverbearer will torment a single female. Livebearers should be kept two females to one male, something that can't be accomplished in a tank too small for even one.

Molly
Danio rerio
Actually I am just trying to learn and understand. Thanks for the info
Juggernaut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
Unfortunately, your tank seems to have perhaps never cycled, as any ammonia in the tank means that it hasn't finished. I'm not sure why that is, but bacteria can be a fickle thing. I agree with the advice blackwaterguy has given you.

As the the ammonia never lowering, have you checked your tap water for ammonia?
I'm sorry you've had so much trouble in this venture.

If you return the fish, we can suggest more suitable species (such as male guppies, a betta, etc.)
Could be...the tank had an ammonia level of 8 at the start....which then went down to 0.25 (my tap water is 0.25) after I added the starter bacteria, and zero nitrites and 20 nitrates....

hehe, this is actually going alot better than when we started with guppies (but we were even more ignorant then and the petstore people said we can just get started without cycling the tank) - 3 weeks for a fish is a record for us
Juggernaut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
BWG
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut122 View Post
Actually I am just trying to learn and understand. Thanks for the info
Apologies. I was sincere about the kudos for the learning of the nitrogen cycle. You have more knowledge than the average starting aquarist and I half thought you were messing with us. ;)
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
In the meantime, Prime is your friend. Two drops/gal of tank size every water change. Keep that ammonia converted (ionized) to ammonium.
Chesh and Perseusmom like this.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High nitrites in cycle of 75g Tha Bizness Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 09-29-2011 01:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.