Help!!!! What am I doing wrong? My NitrAtes are sky high and I can't get them down.
I have a cycled 13g tank, (had a mini cycle when I got the fish that lasted for 2 weeks and finished 2 months ago)
* Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0, P.H. 8.2 NitrAtes 160.
* Brackish set up (S.G. 0.004)
* 4 x Java Ferns, sun glo light for 12 hours
* 4 x 1.5 - 2 inch F8 Puffers
* 2 x Filters - Stingray pump plus clearseal pump + airpump and 1 airstone running
* Temp 25
* 20% water change once per week, once a month all caves etc are moved and tank fully hoovered, and pumps rinsed clean in tank water.
* Fish are fed once per day with one day of fasting, they have frozen bloodworm/brineshrimp/krill/tubiflex/mussel meat (1 block 1cmx1cmx2cm) or 1 cockle which they eat within 2 minutes and never leave anything.
I have been adding Tetra Nitrate Minus at recommended amounts and it has had absolutely no effect on my nitrate levels what-so-ever, infact they've increased from 80 since I started to use it. We live in a very agricultural area with hard water, naturally high P.H. and nitrates in our water occuring at 40ppm.
Do you think moving up to a 90 litre tank will help? I wasn't going to move them up until they got a bit bigger but can easily move them now instead if it will help. What about Seamchem Purigen?
Any suggestions on methods/products to lower these nitrates would be very very welcome, I'm tearing my hair out and worried for my fish.
Many thanks xxx