Step by step:
1. Inset siphon into tank
2. Start siphon
3. Vacuum a portion of your gravel. I do 1/4 to 1/2 the tank a week. It isn't good to vacuum the whole tank, as this will disrupt the biological balances in the tank.
4. If you haven't removed a sufficient amount of water from the tank (the amount varies by who you ask, I do 1/3) continue keeping the siphon in tank until sufficient water is removed.
5. Remove siphon, unless you have a water changer.
6. Add dechlorinator/water conditioner of your choice.
7. Add water to fill tank, making sure the temperature is close to where you have it set for your tank.
8. Clean up and put your stuff away.
9. Repeat a week later.
10. Enjoy your clean aquarium and happy fish.
You shouldn't have problems with your new water putting ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite back into your water. It is possible if your water contains them as it comes out...but the best way to remove said substances are weekly partial water changes.
Last edited by Herky; 09-09-2009 at 04:54 PM..