Help! Tank has chip
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Help! Tank has chip

Help! Tank has chip

This is a discussion on Help! Tank has chip within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I feel so stupid. I thought I checked it over good enough before I bought it. I noticed tonight a chip on my 35 ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Red Top Zebra
Red Top Zebra
Kissing Gourami
Kissing Gourami
Reply
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
 
Help! Tank has chip

I feel so stupid. I thought I checked it over good enough before I bought it. I noticed tonight a chip on my 35 gallon. Its help water fine for 24 hours. I do not notice any leaks nor do I notice any silicone coming through. I dont have the money to replace it or have it repaired unless theres as cheap way to do it at home. Its 1/2 an inch in length and 1/4 inch in width. Not sure how deep but the glass is 1/4 inch thick and the chip at the deepest point is no where near half of 1/4 inch.

The guy I bought it from likely wont give me some money back

Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Where in the world are you?

We have a company here in the UK called autoglass. Fixes chips in car windows. Using some kind of epoxy resin or something. Either look for a similar company, it's Really cheap to have it fixed! Or find the resin. Just call the company and find out if it's aquarium same, no doubt someone here will know.

Happy new years.
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
Where in the world are you?

We have a company here in the UK called autoglass. Fixes chips in car windows. Using some kind of epoxy resin or something. Either look for a similar company, it's Really cheap to have it fixed! Or find the resin. Just call the company and find out if it's aquarium same, no doubt someone here will know.

Happy new years.
They charge easily $100 to do that, I just did the shield of the car :(
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Haha really?!?! Equivalently it's like $13 here for small chips. Buy the stuff yourself then. Or clear aquarium silicone- though structurally I'D prefer the resin.
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
Haha really?!?! Equivalently it's like $13 here for small chips. Buy the stuff yourself then. Or clear aquarium silicone.
I found this stuff here locally The Home Depot Canada is this what I need?

As for the silicone I just use the stuff from the aquarium supply shop? Do I use the epoxy resin on the outside and add some extra silicone on the inside right where the chip is?

Or just leave it?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
I can't find that product. Website says "we're making some changes blah blah"

Well any chip in glass can fracture and split with heat changes or stress, which the water could put on it, so personally I would want to put it directly into the chip to fix it. Which is why you need to find out if it's aqua safe.
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
I can't find that product. Website says "we're making some changes blah blah"

Well any chip in glass can fracture and split with heat changes or stress, which the water could put on it, so personally I would want to put it directly into the chip to fix it. Which is why you need to find out if it's aqua safe.
Well if im using the aquarium silicone on the outside of the tank to fill the chip it would be safe. The chip doesnt go through so if I used that epoxy resin, it wouldnt get into the water. I would drain it and let it set for 48 hours before re filling
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
MSG
 
MSG's Avatar
 
In case you didn't notice....

That corner chip doesn't seem significant enough to create a leak, but with the NEW photos in this thread. I can definitely tell you that the tank with the CHIP has been RESEALED. I suspected it might have been "resealed" from your first thread, but the photo wasn't clear enough.

The several FIXES you two have discussed are UNNECESSARY in my opinion based on the picture.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Fair play. Don't think I'd ever take the risk with ny fish though.
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
That corner chip doesn't seem significant enough to create a leak, but with the NEW photos in this thread. I can definitely tell you that the tank with the CHIP has been RESEALED. I suspected it might have been "resealed" from your first thread, but the photo wasn't clear enough.

The several FIXES you two have discussed are UNNECESSARY in my opinion based on the picture.
Is it a bad thing it was resealed? I was thinking about draining it to the point of the chip and adding an extra blob of sealer??? Or should I just stop obsessing over it and leave it alone?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pulled out my old tank and OMG A CHIP! mysticganja420 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 14 06-23-2012 10:41 PM
Chip In New (To Me) Tank! Disaster or fixable? jojouk DIY Aquarium 2 04-09-2012 07:45 PM
Chip and scratches in and on front of converted marrine tank pdludbrooke Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 02-07-2012 02:08 PM
My tank has a chip in it Darth Corydoras Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 12-31-2011 04:53 PM
2OG tank chip joeshmoe Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 11-06-2007 02:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.