Help! Snail Infestation Inside Canister Filter!!! - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Aquarium
You actually have an awesome set up when you think about it. Especially with a canister filter. IMO you are way over cleaning your canister filter. I open mine literally once in a blue moon, i.e. when the output seems reduced and slow moving. Otherwise I leave it alone. I never change the media in it, and the occasional time that I do open it (6 months or so) I will rinse the batting/sponge component to remove the gunk, check that tubes are clear. BUT if you have snails in there, they will eat the gunk! Perfect set up to me!! Might just put a snail in mine if I don't have any in there. I am an over-feeder too, just removed 80 small pond snails and there are still many in my 75, they are likely already in my filter but since I never open it..., lol.
SeaHorse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Aquarium
I just want to add... when you do clean your canister, use only old tank water or de-chlorinated water and don't scrub it clean, just rinse the media, or replace the sponges etc. All that slime coat in there is your good bacteria, you want to keep that and chlorinated water will kill it.
SeaHorse is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aoibhell's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
I just want to add... when you do clean your canister, use only old tank water or de-chlorinated water and don't scrub it clean, just rinse the media, or replace the sponges etc. All that slime coat in there is your good bacteria, you want to keep that and chlorinated water will kill it.
I have well water with no chlorine, so I'm in good shape. I was only cleaning the canister like that because I heard that the snails could damage it. I'm totally good with not opening that thing for awhile- it's a pita. My water polishing pads get yucky fast, though.
Aoibhell is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoibhell View Post
I have well water with no chlorine, so I'm in good shape. I was only cleaning the canister like that because I heard that the snails could damage it. I'm totally good with not opening that thing for awhile- it's a pita. My water polishing pads get yucky fast, though.
Keep them rinsed well. As the sludge builds on them, it restricts water flow and they will not be able to effectively remove particles, and water will likely manage to force its way around the edges (the way of least resistance).

I tend to leave mine too long, and when I get to them find they are so bad i can't clean them without almost pulling them apart, so I replace them.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
I clean my canister's once each month, for I find it produces the best result's for me.
I also have flex type brush that I attach to piece of weed eater twine and pull this through the tubing once every couple month's.
Would be surprised at how dirty pads,sponges, tubes,affect performance.
After you have cleaned the filter a few times,,you get an idea how long they can go between cleaning's.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
New Member
 
One way to avoid snails getting into the canister may be to put a sponge prefilter on your canister intake. This would also avoid debris getting into your canister and prolong the cleaning intervals and the life of your filter media... I use one shown in the attachment. I would prefer a bit a coarser version than what I have. You may look in ebay or amazon..... Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluval prefilter.jpg (15.8 KB, 16 views)
rg0p is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rg0p For This Useful Post:
Aoibhell (10-25-2012)
post #17 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aoibhell's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg0p View Post
One way to avoid snails getting into the canister may be to put a sponge prefilter on your canister intake. This would also avoid debris getting into your canister and prolong the cleaning intervals and the life of your filter media... I use one shown in the attachment. I would prefer a bit a coarser version than what I have. You may look in ebay or amazon..... Hope this helps...
Good tip... thanks!
Aoibhell is offline  
Reply

Tags
fluval 305 , infestation , snail , snail eggs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snail Infestation Help!! Frostycat2012 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 06-15-2012 01:06 PM
How to get rid of snail INFESTATION tf1265 Invertebrates 6 02-11-2012 12:10 PM
Snail Infestation, HELP! Zappity Tropical Fish Diseases 16 12-04-2011 10:06 AM
Snail Infestation Sensamelia Cichlids 9 11-18-2009 12:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome