Its a very long story, but in essence I have had a catastrophe in my tank.
last night fish were acting weird hanging at the surface, etc. so checked water. showing slight ammonia and high nitrates, no nitrite though!
did a good 25%water change and added the API water conditioner which I never normally use, I just leave my water to sit over night (another long story which doesn't need to be explored at present)
changed the water, things seemed ok.
This morning, I come down to all the fish hanging at the surface again even my botia loaches! I checked the water again and it was showing NITRITE! arghhh, at least .25ppm maybe even .50ppm I was in turmoil! I did another water change, had to go to my LFS for something so they recommended adding Prime to detoxify and ammonia and nitrite etc.
So out of desperation I got some, and heavily dosed a water change bucket with it. I have added the prime to the tank now, and left it for a while and done another check on levels, and ammonia is fine at 0, but the nitrite is a definite 0.25ppm still.
My question is, even though prime detoxifies the nitrite would it still show a reading? as the test cannot differentiate between the toxic and non-toxic variation. I am pretty sure I read this in a thread some time ago.
Could someone please let me know, and if not I guess I need to add more to the tank? I did add way over the prescribed amount of drops per litre on the instructions for nitrite emergency.
No one has died yet, but I thought one of my platys look like it was starting to bend up a bit, which I presume is a bad sign!
Thanks in advance for any advice, I know you'll help me out!
A very stressed