help with a new tank set up - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
help with a new tank set up

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 10 Gallon aquarium from my friend for 3 dollars. The tank seems to be in great condition. While dirty, the glass is clear and the silicone is clear also. However this aquarium housed hamsters when he used it, is that a problem? Also, my biggest concern is when he got rid of the hamsters, he cleaned it with bleach, however he assured me he rinsed it very thoroughly and I trust him. It has been dry for about 2 to 3 months now, will there be any real problem if I re-clean it and set it up. Your input would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to not buy the filter, heater etc if I shouldn't even use it.

Thanks in advance! :D
Follow It Home is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Lupin's Avatar
You'll need to check the tank if it is leak-proof. Try filling it with water completely and let it stand there for hours. If you don't see any leaks, it should be ok.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
New Member
The bleach shouldnt be a problem?
Follow It Home is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
New Member
To be safe, I would rinse it a few times and scrub it down with vinegar. Bleach was probably the best way to clean it for the purpose that it was being used for, but just to be safe, give it a quick scrub in vinegar and rinse well.
Picklee is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
bleaches main ingredient (or main element if you want to get into chemistry) is chlorine which is removable with de-chlorinators. Just because i just found out, bleach has a ph of 11.

Make sure the bleach doesnt get in contact with ammonia since it will have a chemical reaction and create toxic chloramine gasses (to humans and fish) as well as create an extremly unstable substance (due to the electrons negative charge) and can cause an explosion, brain damage, and possibly temporary blindness. this only happens if there are high concentrations of bleach and ammonia so you wont need to worry about this much.

Rinse well in normal tap water, scrub with a sponge using normal tap water, then take 100% ammonia and water mix and scrub the tank with the ammonia, make sure you do it outside since the fumes can be pretty bad.

Using pure ammonia is better than vinigar as ammonia is removable (by bacteria that you need to learn if you dont already know) and if you use 100% ammonia you wont need to worry about other substances leeching into your tank.
musho3210 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
New Member
thank you all very much
Follow It Home is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
scottysgirl's Avatar
I would just rinse with water--after 2-3 months no bleach would be left on your tank, rinse with water with dechlorinator in it and that will take care of any possible problem, I don't believe you need to use any chemicals.
scottysgirl is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
New Member
Yea good point, ammonia would be a better choice.
Picklee is offline  

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome