HELP new tank and fish are dying. - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » HELP new tank and fish are dying.

HELP new tank and fish are dying.

This is a discussion on HELP new tank and fish are dying. within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Thank you Byron. I need more help!! Today I noticed that the two hatchetfish's tails are ragged and for on-e of them almost missing. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blind Cave Tetra
Blind Cave Tetra
Buenos Aires Tetra
Buenos Aires Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
HELP new tank and fish are dying.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
Thank you Byron. I need more help!! Today I noticed that the two hatchetfish's tails are ragged and for on-e of them almost missing. There are small white spots - almost look like tiny air bubbles on their fins. After researching I am assuming this is ich??? I honestly wish I would have never got these fish because after research realize they need a larger school. i don't know what to do for them and am afraid this will spread to the rest of the tank. any advice??
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalove View Post
Thank you Byron. I need more help!! Today I noticed that the two hatchetfish's tails are ragged and for on-e of them almost missing. There are small white spots - almost look like tiny air bubbles on their fins. After researching I am assuming this is ich??? I honestly wish I would have never got these fish because after research realize they need a larger school. i don't know what to do for them and am afraid this will spread to the rest of the tank. any advice??
It sounds like ich. Hatchets seem prone to it. But any fish will get it when stressed. And ich is present in all aquaria, it just takes stress on the fish to cause an outbreak. Fish that are healthy will fight it off. And new fish are always under stress, no matter what, so it is often seen on new fish.

What fish are in the tank now? This may affect options for treatment.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
I have a molly, a platy, 2 small cory catfish, a snail - and two hatchetfish.
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
OK so the two hatchetfish died. My other fish seem a lot happier without them in there. I see no signs of ich on the others. Except the Molly has one tiny dot on her tail. Not sure if this was already there or if it is even ich. Should I do heat / salt treatment or just wait and watch first?

And I have one more question. My 2 gallon tank is now cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0. although I am a little confused by the nitrate reading. For a couple of weeks I've had 0 amm; high nitrite and high nitrate - as expected. But just yesterday there was still moderate nitrite and high nitrate. Now today all are 0. I thought that i would have to change out the water serveral times to get rid of the remaining nitrate?

If this tank is in fact cycled - can I take the fake plants out and put in my 20g for added good bacteria? Do I just transfer them without rinsing at all? I also plan to bring some rocks over in a mesh bag.
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalove View Post
OK so the two hatchetfish died. My other fish seem a lot happier without them in there. I see no signs of ich on the others. Except the Molly has one tiny dot on her tail. Not sure if this was already there or if it is even ich. Should I do heat / salt treatment or just wait and watch first?

And I have one more question. My 2 gallon tank is now cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0. although I am a little confused by the nitrate reading. For a couple of weeks I've had 0 amm; high nitrite and high nitrate - as expected. But just yesterday there was still moderate nitrite and high nitrate. Now today all are 0. I thought that i would have to change out the water serveral times to get rid of the remaining nitrate?

If this tank is in fact cycled - can I take the fake plants out and put in my 20g for added good bacteria? Do I just transfer them without rinsing at all? I also plan to bring some rocks over in a mesh bag.
Before treatment, I would monitor closely and be certain there was a serious ich outbreak. Fish that are healthy can fight it off, so don't do anything to add more stress. I'll go into some treatments later if this becomes necessary, but salt will not be one of them as you have corys.

It takes a while for sufficient nitrifying bacteria to become established on decor, so I would leave the fake plants in the tank for a couple weeks. When it comes time to set up the 55g, moving over any hard aquascaping (substrate, wood, rock, decor, fake plants) without any rinsing will transfer the bacteria living in the biofilm that forms on surfaces under water.

Can't really say on the nitrate, but that wouldn't concern me, as long as ammonia and nitrite remain zero.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
Thanks Byron. I will monitor the fish for ich.

I want to clarify above what I posted. I have a small 2g tank that I have been cycling. It has gravel and 2 fake plants. It's been 34 days and today is the first day I've gotte 0 readings so excited that it is cycled. I plan to put a small live plant and maybe some shrimp.

The 20 gallon contains my molly, platy and 2 cories and is in the middle of cycling.

I was hoping to transfer some gravel and/or the fake plants over to the new 20gallon (established now for 24 days) in hopes to speed up the cycling or provide good bacteria at least. Are you saying to wait a couple of weeks before adding this? I would like to eventually change the gravel in the 2g. I don't like the color so i was considering putting half in a mesh bag and leaving in the 2 gallon for a certain amt of time - and put the other half in a mesh bag and putting in the 20 gallon until it is cycled.
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalove View Post
Thanks Byron. I will monitor the fish for ich.

I want to clarify above what I posted. I have a small 2g tank that I have been cycling. It has gravel and 2 fake plants. It's been 34 days and today is the first day I've gotte 0 readings so excited that it is cycled. I plan to put a small live plant and maybe some shrimp.

The 20 gallon contains my molly, platy and 2 cories and is in the middle of cycling.

I was hoping to transfer some gravel and/or the fake plants over to the new 20gallon (established now for 24 days) in hopes to speed up the cycling or provide good bacteria at least. Are you saying to wait a couple of weeks before adding this? I would like to eventually change the gravel in the 2g. I don't like the color so i was considering putting half in a mesh bag and leaving in the 2 gallon for a certain amt of time - and put the other half in a mesh bag and putting in the 20 gallon until it is cycled.
I can't give definitive time-lines for the establishment of bacteria, but if a "new" tank has just cycled, there will be sufficient nitrifying bacteria on surfaces in the tank (which includes in the filter media of course, in the substrate, and on all other surfaces) to handle the level of ammonia and nitrite being produced. I would assume at this early stage the majority is in the filter. This changes with time, as biofilms form on other surfaces and various bacteria attach. If there are no fish in the 2 g, then moving over any hard object will likely move some bacteria, leaving the 2g with less obviously. But what is left will multiply according to the level of ammonia and nitrite still being produced.

I have never messed with moving "bacteria" around, I use live plants from day 1 and if for some reason i think this might not be adequate (due to the fish load), I use a bacterial supplement which is exactly the same as seeding with bacteria from an established tank. Except the supplement has more and is perhaps faster. Live bacteria products like Dr. Tim's One and Only, Seachem's Stability and Tetra's SafeStart will all achieve this. Dr. Tim's is purported to instantly cycle any tank.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
Thanks Byron for your fast and exceptional help! I think I am good to go for now.
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
 
trishalove's Avatar
 
Ich. Coppersafe?

Byron! or anyone who can help. I have a slight ich outbreak. I've noticed spots on 3 of my fish's tails.

Should I wait to see if it worsens before medicating?

20 g
2 guppies (one shows new signs of ich - couple of dots, the other looks a little discolored - color is muted)
1 molly (has had ich spots on fins for a couple of weeks although they have decreased)
5 neon tetras (one shows new signs of ich - couple of dots)
2 cories (no signs)
1 platy (no signs)
1 apple snail

I was planning to relocated the snail and do a 50% water change and then add coppersafe as directed on bottle. I don't believe my tank has fully cycled yet so I will monitor amm/nitrite daily and do water changes w/Prime as necessary. Should I just replace the Coppersafe acc'g to amount of water removed? Do I raise the water temp? The guppy is pregnant - if she has fry soon will the med be harmful to the babies?

Thanks!!
trishalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalove View Post
Byron! or anyone who can help. I have a slight ich outbreak. I've noticed spots on 3 of my fish's tails.

Should I wait to see if it worsens before medicating?

20 g
2 guppies (one shows new signs of ich - couple of dots, the other looks a little discolored - color is muted)
1 molly (has had ich spots on fins for a couple of weeks although they have decreased)
5 neon tetras (one shows new signs of ich - couple of dots)
2 cories (no signs)
1 platy (no signs)
1 apple snail

I was planning to relocated the snail and do a 50% water change and then add coppersafe as directed on bottle. I don't believe my tank has fully cycled yet so I will monitor amm/nitrite daily and do water changes w/Prime as necessary. Should I just replace the Coppersafe acc'g to amount of water removed? Do I raise the water temp? The guppy is pregnant - if she has fry soon will the med be harmful to the babies?

Thanks!!
Seems there are new fish, so that is almost without doubt the cause of the ich. Stress, and the ich was already in the tank.

I would suggest letting the fish settle. If there is any doubt that the tank is not cycled, then any medication is going to make it worse on the fish that are already under severe stress. It's hard to suggest something, since i am not there to see what's happening daily with feeding, behaviour, colour, etc. I usually turn to treatment when I see more than one spot and on more than one fish.

If treatment becomes necessary, I would raise the tank temp to around 85F [I would suggest 90F, but the neons and corys would find this very difficult]. Do this via a major water change (half the tank or more) raising the temp a couple degrees, and adjust the heater up to finish it. After the water change, dose with CopperSafe as indicated on the label. Maintain the temp for one week. I usually lower the heater thermostat back to normal after 8 days and let the tank cool naturally back to 77F (it should be no higher than this for neons and corys). Wait another 3-45 days and then do another 50% water change. I do not re-dose CS. I have had some very bad infestations of ich and cured them with this method.

In general terms, ich can be prevented by reducing stress as much as possible [and remember stress occurs from many sources, see my article on stress] and keeping the water quality good. If this is not done after the treatment, ich will simply re-occur.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Tank - Fish Dying BettaDexter Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 10-18-2011 03:07 PM
Fish Keep Dying! 5 Gal. Tank Fellixe Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-30-2010 10:47 AM
The fish in my tank are dying overnight. Tracey Kidd Tropical Fish Diseases 7 01-16-2010 11:03 PM
my tank is crashing - all fish dying YoAlyssa Tropical Fish Diseases 10 11-17-2009 04:30 AM
Help with new tank and dying fish lgoolsby Saltwater Fish Diseases 15 10-29-2008 02:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.