HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium!

HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium!

This is a discussion on HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> HELP!! I'm building my first aquarium and I dropped a lightbulb inside the tank... a lightbulb that contains MERCURY! There's like a white powder ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Common Pleco
Common Pleco
Hengels Rasbora
Hengels Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
 
HELP!! Mercury Spill in Aquarium!

HELP!!
I'm building my first aquarium and I dropped a lightbulb inside the tank... a lightbulb that contains MERCURY! There's like a white powder in the tank and I was wondering what was the best way to clean this? I'm not sure if just a water and rag will do the trick and its too big to rinse out. I'm worried about excess mercury being in the tank and me not noticing it and it killing my fish when i fill my tank.
ArKitEKt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
 
fish_4_all's Avatar
 
Well I would venture that a simplye clenaing with an absorbent cloth and plenty of water should remove most of it. I assume the bulb broke in which case the powder is likley the coating that is put on the glass to give a specific spectrum. Again, clean with a very absorbent cloth and warm water.

Make sure to use gloves so you don't absorb the mercury through your skin.

Mercury will dissolve in the water and if you fill the tank and do a fishless cycle, a few large water changes should dilute it to barely noticeable levels. Also, only a small drop of mercury is added to a bulb so I am guessing the amount is small and will be easily diluted to levels that you might find in nature.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
 
thanks

thank you. i was worried that it would be hard to get all the mercury out and i didnt know how much mercury was in there or how harmful it could be. thanks for the help :)
ArKitEKt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spill the truth (about new years) Angel079 Off Topic Discussions 31 01-06-2010 01:33 PM
Using a Python No-Spill syphon crazie.eddie Freshwater Journals 5 12-27-2006 02:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.