09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
| || |
Obviously the AmmoLock is saving the fish. It binds the ammonia into ammonium which is basically harmless but will still show as "ammonia" in tests. I asked about the pH because in acidic water (pH below 7) the same thing happens naturally. Ammonia is highly toxic, ammonium is not.
So that explains how the fish have survived, but doesn't explain the ammonia. You don't have too many fish considering the tank is 75g. Live plants, even some floating, would help with this, as they need ammonia/ammonium and will quickly grab it. Seeding with bac teria in the form of a bacterial supplement wuld also help. Tetra's SafeStart, Seachem's Stability, and Dr.Tim's One and Only are all good products.
The API liquid tests are reliable, so that is a good investment.