12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
| || |
Considering that the ammonia levels in this tank have been recorded as high as 8ppm and ammonia from tap has been recorded at 2to4ppm for going on four or five days, I have near no faith in the accuracy of the test results. All fish would be dead or at the very least, gasping at surface or literally trying to leap from the aquarium in my opinion.
Considering also ,that tank is reported to be two months old and that the first four to six weeks would be needed for the bacteria (good kind to develop). I would not be surprised that the new addition of fish to a tank where biological bacteria (good kind), was removed, or perhaps not in sufficient numbers, would cause fish loss.This would then make more sense than results of ammonia test. Fish not acclimated to tank properly, could also stress said fish and the sudden change in water chemistry would or could,send them over the edge.Same could happen with use of pH altering chemicals or powders.
If this were my tank, my fish, I would not add any fish for next four weeks and in the meantime, I would want second opinion on results from ammonia tests as well as pH. I would be suspect of any of the results from the test kit at this point and stand by my previous thoughts on this particular situation until proven otherwise. Again, understanding the effects of ammonia poisoning,leaves me suspect.