Hard Water
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Hard Water

Hard Water

This is a discussion on Hard Water within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I have been doing a lot of research on types of fish I would like to keep. I'be noticed almost all cichlids are fish ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Red Phantom Tetra
Red Phantom Tetra
Tail Spot Cory
Tail Spot Cory
Reply
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Hard Water

I have been doing a lot of research on types of fish I would like to keep. I'be noticed almost all cichlids are fish that needs water that is hard.

What exactly does Hardness of Water mean.

And I have some other fish in mind with the cichlids I would like.

Ex.
Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus)
Sailfin Pleco (L-83) (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

Columbian Shark (Arius jordani)
Clown Loach (Botia macracantha)
Black Ghost Knifefish
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
 
4shi's Avatar
 
Well, you can try for example limestone. It's a common decoration in perch tanks, but there are other stones that can make your water harder.
4shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shi View Post
Well, you can try for example limestone. It's a common decoration in perch tanks, but there are other stones that can make your water harder.
Nevermind. I believe I know what hardness is. I believe it pertains to the PH level, no rocks. But thanks anyways.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
 
Adamson's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
I have been doing a lot of research on types of fish I would like to keep. I'be noticed almost all cichlids are fish that needs water that is hard.

What exactly does Hardness of Water mean.

And I have some other fish in mind with the cichlids I would like.

Ex.
Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus)
Sailfin Pleco (L-83) (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

Columbian Shark (Arius jordani)
Clown Loach (Botia macracantha)
Black Ghost Knifefish
Black Ghost Knife Fish want soft water, and it NEEDS to be very shaded, lots of dark places to hide, and a 75+ gallon tank..
Adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson View Post
Black Ghost Knife Fish want soft water, and it NEEDS to be very shaded, lots of dark places to hide, and a 75+ gallon tank..
I have a 125gal tank. I have quickly figured out that almost all cichlids are impossible to keep with a Black ghost Knife. I just posted another thread about Oscars and a Ghost co existing. You think they could?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
 
4shi's Avatar
 
Well, pH depends on acid. Water's hardness is different, it means the mineral content of the water. I don't really know the exact thing, because there are different minerals that can be dissolved, but to get "harder" water for fishes, people really do use rocks (I don't, because i don't need hard water). Also because of this if you use limestone that can kill your salmons! But you can buy water-tests (chemical tests) in shops, that'll help you. Oh, and don't panic, if the number it shows you is not exactly the same as you want, that's not really a problem, it has to be just close.
Read this page. You won't need this much chemical s***, but it can explain better than i do:) Hard water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
I would recommend getting an API liquid test kit for GH(General Hardness) and KH (Carbonate Hardness).
You can find information here that will explain each in detail.
*This is a PDF document
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Nevermind. I believe I know what hardness is. I believe it pertains to the PH level, no rocks. But thanks anyways.
Hardness and pH are two different things, though usually (but not always) related. You can read all about them here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

And a 75g, even a 125g, is not sufficient for a black ghost knifefish. It requires a 6 foot (long) by 2 foot (wide) tank because it will attain 20 inches (if it lives and is healthy) and being inflexible it would not be able to turn around in anything smaller.

Not all cichlids need hard water; generally, only the African rift lake species. The Central American are soft water to medium hard, depending upon species, and all SA are generally soft. There are some SA cichlids that will work with a BGK in a large enough tank, but the Oscar is not one of them; Geophagus species, Satanoperca species, angelfish, even discus. These are found together is some of their respective habitats.

The Columbian Shark requires brackish water when mature; this would not suit most of the other fish listed.

The Clown loach are soft water and need a group, and a 6-foot or larger tank as they grow.

Last edited by Byron; 02-25-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Hardness and pH are two different things, though usually (but not always) related. You can read all about them here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

And a 75g, even a 125g, is not sufficient for a black ghost knifefish. It requires a 6 foot (long) by 2 foot (wide) tank because it will attain 20 inches (if it lives and is healthy) and being inflexible it would not be able to turn around in anything smaller.

Not all cichlids need hard water; generally, only the African rift lake species. The Central American are soft water to medium hard, depending upon species, and all SA are generally soft. There are some SA cichlids that will work with a BGK in a large enough tank, but the Oscar is not one of them; Geophagus species, Satanoperca species, angelfish, even discus. These are found together is some of their respective habitats.

The Columbian Shark requires brackish water when mature; this would not suit most of the other fish listed.

The Clown loach are soft water and need a group, and a 6-foot or larger tank as they grow.
Thank you, helped out alot. I'm thinking I may go along the lines of a whip tail cat instead of the columbian shark. Also the tank
Is 72" by 18". Ive heard that will do for black ghost knifes. I'm just a bit confused with these cichlids. I made out an entire list, and when i posted them on another forum pertaining to cichlids, everyone fround upon knifefish and cichlids coexisting, except for more hardy cochlids like oscars.
Posted via Mobile Device
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Also ive just noticed alot of cichlids need between 7.5 and 8.5 ph levels (except for oscars) and most of the fish i listed like the plecos, loach and knifefish all need lower ph levels (at the highest 7.5), i just dont know where to find the happy medium and get a good selection of fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pH/ Hard water crs1945 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 9 08-27-2011 05:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.