A good start? - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Responding to items from the previous posts:

The single tube light will work, though the tube that comes with it may not be adequate depending upon what it is. A full spectrum (sometimes called "daylight" or similar) with a kelvin rating around 6500K will be sufficient for the majority of plants. The generic tubes that come with fixtures are often inadequate for many reasons. When you have the rube and can give us the info that will be printed on one end I will be able to advise.

The two originally mentioned plants are higher light requiring, though they may do OK with a good full spectrum tube. Stranger things have happened. Another member, Angel079, I believe had good success with baby tears with only one tube and that was over her 55g which is much deeper. You will have to try it and see. Again, when you know the tube info, we can discuss what will work and there is a tube that is more intense than others that I can mention if needed. No point in confusing the issue now until we know what you have.

Not all plants will grow in this or that tank due to several factors, light being a common one, but other issues too. The best approach is like gardening; try this and that if you like it, but be prepared to move on to something else if this or that won't grow in your garden (aquarium). There are dozens of plants, and there are many that have similar appearances so getting the approximate "look" using various plants that will grow in that particular setup is part of the enjoyment of a successful planted tank.

Kym, the purple cabomba may be Cabomba piauhyensis, a very difficult plant to grow, quite demanding. I tried this 25 years ago with no luck, but I knew less then than I do now and I had poor lighting (one of the those so-called plant tubes, useless really).

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I just did a little reading and the retail price at Petsmart for that tank is $89.99.
I just picked up a 75gl (with the works) for just $200.00 off of craigslist. Have you considered maybe poking around on craigslist? Just a thought...
I have been looking on craigslist everyday this week with no luck.. there was a 20 gallon for * bucks and a 55 gallon for $110, but by the time i got off work and was able to email them they were both gone. I dont mind spending the money on a starter kit, even though there are cheaper tanks out there.
GoneFishin is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Responding to items from the previous posts:

The single tube light will work, though the tube that comes with it may not be adequate depending upon what it is. A full spectrum (sometimes called "daylight" or similar) with a kelvin rating around 6500K will be sufficient for the majority of plants. The generic tubes that come with fixtures are often inadequate for many reasons. When you have the rube and can give us the info that will be printed on one end I will be able to advise.

The two originally mentioned plants are higher light requiring, though they may do OK with a good full spectrum tube. Stranger things have happened. Another member, Angel079, I believe had good success with baby tears with only one tube and that was over her 55g which is much deeper. You will have to try it and see. Again, when you know the tube info, we can discuss what will work and there is a tube that is more intense than others that I can mention if needed. No point in confusing the issue now until we know what you have.

Not all plants will grow in this or that tank due to several factors, light being a common one, but other issues too. The best approach is like gardening; try this and that if you like it, but be prepared to move on to something else if this or that won't grow in your garden (aquarium). There are dozens of plants, and there are many that have similar appearances so getting the approximate "look" using various plants that will grow in that particular setup is part of the enjoyment of a successful planted tank.

Kym, the purple cabomba may be Cabomba piauhyensis, a very difficult plant to grow, quite demanding. I tried this 25 years ago with no luck, but I knew less then than I do now and I had poor lighting (one of the those so-called plant tubes, useless really).

Byron.
you sir are a book of knowledge and it is AWESOME! lol. once I do some more research and figure out what plants I want I will post here, and when i get the tank (whichever i get) ill post the lights specs. with the cabomba i was really just shooting from the hip, since i have heard a lot of people have it, and seen their pics. I havent really read up on any plants, other than their care. I dont know anything about lighting requirements.
GoneFishin is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Member
 
JohnnyD44's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
you sir are a book of knowledge and it is AWESOME!.

+1 on that!! If Byron decides to write a book, I think we all deserve a autographed copy!

“The space between the tears we cry is the laughter that keeps us coming back for more...."-- Dave Matthews
JohnnyD44 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 View Post
+1 on that!! If Byron decides to write a book, I think we all deserve a autographed copy!
yes.. yes we do :)
GoneFishin is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post

Kym, the purple cabomba may be Cabomba piauhyensis, a very difficult plant to grow, quite demanding. I tried this 25 years ago with no luck, but I knew less then than I do now and I had poor lighting (one of the those so-called plant tubes, useless really).

Byron.
Byron- I knew you'd know what it was! Well, it has already rooted into the substrate but as we know, that means nothing. It was very inexpensive so it won't break the bank if it doesn't do well.
I knew by the color of it that it was going to be a high maintenance stem plant but I couldn't resist the color.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Byron- I knew you'd know what it was! Well, it has already rooted into the substrate but as we know, that means nothing. It was very inexpensive so it won't break the bank if it doesn't do well.
I knew by the color of it that it was going to be a high maintenance stem plant but I couldn't resist the color.

Kymmie could you post a picture of your plant? I am just wondering because the last couple of camboba I bought were purple, I just thought they needed fertilizer and light. They look good now but I am wondering if it is a different type of plant.
Inga is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Kymmie could you post a picture of your plant? I am just wondering because the last couple of camboba I bought were purple, I just thought they needed fertilizer and light. They look good now but I am wondering if it is a different type of plant.
Yes, as soon as the battery is charged I will post a pic. They were alot more purple five days ago. Now they are looking very dark green but the new growth from the top still looks purplish. I don't expect them to do well but I had to try it.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lest start over (again) bearwithfish Water Chemistry 10 07-03-2010 09:02 PM
Good Ways to Start Infusoria Culture MonsiuerPercy1 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 07-16-2009 12:53 PM
Good filter>good company catfishtabbi Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 01-26-2009 08:34 PM
Where would I start? TrashmanNYC Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 12-10-2007 03:45 PM
how to start again??? pescao Saltwater Fish 4 06-28-2007 09:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome