Garlic? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
broken1's Avatar
 
Garlic?

I hear a lot of people talking about using garlic to get there fish to try different foods so i went to my LFS to get some garlic extract with vitamins but they do not carry anything like that.
Is it ok to use regular old garlic powder?
broken1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
broken1's Avatar
 
Is minced garlic ok?
broken1 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Member
 
DO NOT use garlic powder.

You can take fresh garlic and mash it, or minced garlic then soak your food with it. Either way your going to need to mash up your garlic.

I know you can also get garlic at health food stored but right off I have no idea which ones would be safe, just going to the grocery store would probably be easier and cheaper.
k19smith is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Member
 
gmate's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
I hear a lot of people talking about using garlic to get there fish to try different foods so i went to my LFS to get some garlic extract with vitamins but they do not carry anything like that.
Is it ok to use regular old garlic powder?
Get FRESH REGULAR garlic and wash it off like crazy (most food stores spray preservatives to make food last longer) then mash or mince it yourself. Powers and pre-prepared foods often contain chemicals and additives to make it last longer or taste better, which may be harmful to your fish.

29g Saltwater Reef
10g Freshwater 'vase'
gmate is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I wonder if fish in the amazon river get garlic flavored food?

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I wonder if fish in the amazon river get garlic flavored food?
Hey it could happen LOL.

I think people (myself included) use it for beneficial qualities more than anything else but sometimes fish can be picky eaters with pellets mostly.

Garlic is said to be an appetite stimulant for fish. Especialy the Italian ones.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Hey it could happen LOL.

I think people (myself included) use it for beneficial qualities more than anything else but sometimes fish can be picky eaters with pellets mostly.

Garlic is said to be an appetite stimulant for fish. Especialy the Italian ones.
Moma fish to daddy fish... "Italian or Sushi tonight?"

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome