Fry Control - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Fry Control

Hey all,
I'm looking for a fish that would fit in a 20 gall long tank thats heavily planted and pick off some of my extra endler fry, someone gave me 15 of them and theyve quickly overpopulated my tank!

It needs to be something that wouldnt gorge themselves on fry like a betta, I still want to have some babies around, I just want to slow the onslaught a bit

It would need to be small enough that it wouldnt attack my adults either.


A singular fish would be best as well if possible, my tank is on the higher end of being stocked and I dont want to burden it with a school.
Ive got cherry shrimp too and would like to keep those living if possible, though I dont mind if shrimplets are eaten.


So a mid to top dweller thats wont gorge itself and isnt too big.

Maybe a honey gourami?




Here is the tank that has my endlers.
Tank4.jpg

Ignore how unorganized it is right now,
Im rescaping this weekend


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
fish net and toilet would be a simple problem solver. but then again it comes down to your personal opinion on that method.
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
fish net and toilet would be a simple problem solver. but then again it comes down to your personal opinion on that method.
Id rather not just flush a fish, I dont think its right to flush something just because it wont fit in my tank or I dont want it anymore. At least with having a predator, its not wasteful.

If worst comes to worst, I can drive the half hour to my LFS and just donate them.


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM
New Member
 
what's in the tank next door? perhaps there's an option to the unceremonious flushing (but more just interested in what's in the other tank).
tanked is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanked View Post
what's in the tank next door? perhaps there's an option to the unceremonious flushing (but more just interested in what's in the other tank).
The tank next to mine is cycling and going to hold male guppies

I cant put endler fry in there though, theyll cross breed and make my problem worse


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Well.... that's the thing with live bearers, they breed faster than mice and will never stop.

Getting a fish to control the population isn't a very good idea. They might eat them all, they might only eat some, they might not eat any. You just don't know, and then what do you do with it if it doesn't do what you planned for it?

If you don't have a second tank that you could 'feed' with the babies than giving them to a LFS is the only other option short of killing them. Be warned though that the LFS may or may not take them, there is never a shortage of live bearers since they are so prolific.
Geomancer is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Maybe set up a Betta tank and feed him the babies? Only other thing I can think of.
jentralala is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Well.... that's the thing with live bearers, they breed faster than mice and will never stop.

Getting a fish to control the population isn't a very good idea. They might eat them all, they might only eat some, they might not eat any. You just don't know, and then what do you do with it if it doesn't do what you planned for it?

If you don't have a second tank that you could 'feed' with the babies than giving them to a LFS is the only other option short of killing them. Be warned though that the LFS may or may not take them, there is never a shortage of live bearers since they are so prolific.


I have a spare 8g bowfront thats empty tight now that can hold said fish if it didnt work out and it fit, but regardless, I can see where youre coming from.

I may just get a betta and or some scarlet badis or something for the bowfront and feed the fry to them, that way I can control it.

I have a LFS that will take them regardless, I'm friends with the owner.
Whether or not I get store credit is another matter


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
Maybe set up a Betta tank and feed him the babies? Only other thing I can think of.
Yes, thats my back up plan.
I have a divided betta tank already but one of my bettas is blind and I dont know if the other will eat them, hes a teddy bear.

The blind one is master shrimp hunter though so it would be interesting to see if he could get the fry too.


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
ugh livebears, not my cup of joe =X
MoneyMitch is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guppy fry as live food/fry control ConorM Freshwater and Tropical Fish 6 01-27-2012 03:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome