Freshwater Clams!!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Freshwater Clams!!

Freshwater Clams!!

This is a discussion on Freshwater Clams!! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them? Steve...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Spotted Headstander
Spotted Headstander
Dwarf Cory
Dwarf Cory
Reply
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
 
PonyMan's Avatar
 
Exclamation Freshwater Clams!!

Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them?

Steve
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them?

Steve

I've only seen freshwater clams at my LFS, and they are listed as "not for sale" :(

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
 
Stoke88's Avatar
 
I've also wondered if they have any benefit. My LFS has one in a tank also listed not for sale but he tells me he can order me some if I'd like. I think it might be kind of neat to have one. Still haven't gotten one though.
Stoke88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
 
I considered getting clams too. I did research and from what I've read they are apparently hard to keep alive. They do such a good job at filtering the water that most keepers lose them unless they supplement with a filter feeder food, which I haven't researched because I decided to not get them at that point.

Also unless you have sand substrate I can imagine they'd be pretty unhappy since they burrow (from what I read). Theyre natural environment is probably even finer, like mud.
This is from what I've read, so hopefully someone can prove me wrong!
Posted via Mobile Device
djrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
 
from what I read fresh water clams reproduce by realsing some kind of parasite in the water that then attach it self to the gills of your fish and grow out of your fishes blood and when mature drops at the bottom of the tank
still I read that its very unlikely for you to reproduce them in aquaria
just reading it I wouldent take a chance hehe some kinds of clam will kill the fish they are growing on!
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxillius View Post
from what I read fresh water clams reproduce by realsing some kind of parasite in the water that then attach it self to the gills of your fish and grow out of your fishes blood and when mature drops at the bottom of the tank
still I read that its very unlikely for you to reproduce them in aquaria
just reading it I wouldent take a chance hehe some kinds of clam will kill the fish they are growing on!
Actually this isn't all freshwater clams. You are specifically talking about mussels from the families Unionidae and Margaritiferidae that reproduce using a glochidia. In fact some mussels are so specific the glochidia will only attach to one species of fish. Here and here have more info on North American freshwater mussels. Many of these animals are federally and state endangered and illegal to have in home aquaria.




What is commonly seen is the invasive Asian clam Corbicula. They do not reproduce with a glochidia and will not harm fish species. The male releases sperm which the female intakes. The eggs are fertilized internally, and the female holds them in her gills until the embryos develop into miniature clams. She then expels them. I have Corbicula in my aquaria yet I have never seen them reproduce. I added them a few years ago to control a reoccurring suspended algae outbreak. And if you're wondering how I know about this, I briefly studied them in an aquatic entomology course I took in college.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
 
nicolaas's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them?

Steve
I had one in a pond, for about 4 months,then our dogs eat him I got him from a dam were I found him on land, so I took him home.
nicolaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I briefly studied them in an aquatic entomology course I took in college.
Wow that's awesome! Are these little white beads on the gills? I work at a fish market (gasp!) and I've seen little white beads on the gills of some striped bass, or are these a different parasite?
djrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrodan View Post
Wow that's awesome! Are these little white beads on the gills? I work at a fish market (gasp!) and I've seen little white beads on the gills of some striped bass, or are these a different parasite?
Do you know where the stripers are harvested? It's unlikely that what you saw was glochidia cysts because stripers travel between fresh and salt water. These mussels are strictly freshwater. So if the glochidia were to drop off in salt water it would certainly die. Over millennium these mussels have developed a very tight relationship with specific fish. Stripers escaped this relationship by being anadromous.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Do you know where the stripers are harvested? It's unlikely that what you saw was glochidia cysts because stripers travel between fresh and salt water. These mussels are strictly freshwater. So if the glochidia were to drop off in salt water it would certainly die. Over millennium these mussels have developed a very tight relationship with specific fish. Stripers escaped this relationship by being anadromous.

Yea, unlikely then. We get stripers from all over the east coast, I think around that time it was delaware. But I noticed these white egg looking bits in the gills of one. Must have been a parasite or something.
djrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freshwater Clams Cornelius1208 Invertebrates 11 10-15-2010 08:16 PM
Freshwater clams River Invertebrates 5 04-28-2010 09:36 AM
freshwater clams stephenmontero Invertebrates 12 07-09-2008 01:18 PM
Freshwater clams musho3210 Invertebrates 6 06-07-2007 11:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.