fluval canister filter set up for planted tank - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
j dizzel's Avatar
 
fluval canister filter set up for planted tank

Have recently added a fluval 306 three stage canister filter to my 50 gallon planted tank. Manufactor recommends (first basket ) foam,(second basket) bio max ceramic,(third basket) polishing pad and carbon. I was thinking of disposing of the carbon for the plants sake. Does this sound right, and replace the carbon with what?
j dizzel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
New Member
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j dizzel View Post
Have recently added a fluval 306 three stage canister filter to my 50 gallon planted tank. Manufactor recommends (first basket ) foam,(second basket) bio max ceramic,(third basket) polishing pad and carbon. I was thinking of disposing of the carbon for the plants sake. Does this sound right, and replace the carbon with what?
You are correct in your decision to remove the carbon.
I would suggest adding another layer of foam or floss in its place. Foam is better, in my opinion, than adding more biological filtration because it's really unnecessary in a heavily planted tank. If it's not heavily planted, then go ahead and replace the carbon with more biological filter media.


AK Fresh Water is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to AK Fresh Water For This Useful Post:
j dizzel (01-05-2013)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Just leave it empty. I went through the same thought process for my canister and decided that even extra foam is of little use as the two layers in the fist stage will clog up and need cleaning.,The next layer doesn't really get used anyway. Having an empty stage is not an issue to worry about. Chances are that even the bio stages are mostly a waste as there is so much more surface area for the bacteria to adhere to in the substrate that the little bit in the bio media is a pittance in contrast

Essentially, in a planted tank, the canister provides only mechanical filtration.... period. Even this is really just to keep the water clear for our viewing pleasure and, to some degree, provide for water movement so the plants can do their work. I suppose if you use a spray bar or stir the surface up it allows that to occur as well.... but even this may be counter productive to the plants due to the off gassing of CO2.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDM For This Useful Post:
avraptorhal (07-18-2013), j dizzel (01-06-2013)
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM
New Member
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Just leave it empty. I went through the same thought process for my canister and decided that even extra foam is of little use as the two layers in the fist stage will clog up and need cleaning.,The next layer doesn't really get used anyway. Having an empty stage is not an issue to worry about. Chances are that even the bio stages are mostly a waste as there is so much more surface area for the bacteria to adhere to in the substrate that the little bit in the bio media is a pittance in contrast

Essentially, in a planted tank, the canister provides only mechanical filtration.... period. Even this is really just to keep the water clear for our viewing pleasure and, to some degree, provide for water movement so the plants can do their work. I suppose if you use a spray bar or stir the surface up it allows that to occur as well.... but even this may be counter productive to the plants due to the off gassing of CO2.

Jeff.
I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with adding adding filter floss in the second basket.

I would personally do foam, floss, then bio.
The beauty of canister filters is that it allows for everyone to adjust their tanks to personal preferences. :]


AK Fresh Water is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fresh Water View Post
I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with adding adding filter floss in the second basket.

I would personally do foam, floss, then bio.
The beauty of canister filters is that it allows for everyone to adjust their tanks to personal preferences. :]
Sure, filter floss. I didn't say their was anything wrong with adding more mechanical filtration, nor did I imply as much. Although it seems wasteful to have so much unused space the canister, just adding foam of the same density as the bottom layer doesn't add much to the filtration. Floss or something finer, on the other hand, does, so that's a good idea.

I forgot that mine has a finer filter layer on top of the ceramics so it amounts to the same thing without having had to add it separately.

I'm probably going to take out the ceramics and the plastic "bio-balls" next cleaning as all they do is make little rattly noises as the water passes through them anyway.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Positioning of Canister Filter and HOB Filter in 55 Gal Tank Cja313 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 21 12-07-2012 12:25 PM
Fluval Canister Filter Spray bar yodapoolman Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 08-30-2011 05:35 AM
Fluval 205 canister for a 29 gal tank? JimBinSC Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 07-03-2011 07:33 AM
Canister Filter Media For HEAVY planted tank trit0n2003 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 12-07-2010 11:34 AM
Canister filter,Fluval 405? Rfraser Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 03-09-2007 05:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome