Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping

Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping

This is a discussion on Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Galaxy Hunter Not a bad idea. At least the cut outs would be very small. Just an FYI the BioWheel 200 ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Silver Dollar
Silver Dollar
Mosquito Rasbora
Mosquito Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #31
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Hunter View Post
Not a bad idea. At least the cut outs would be very small. Just an FYI the BioWheel 200 did not quite fit, and other than the lid didn't want to cut anything else so went with the 150. Best of luck to you, and post here what you decided to do.. Would be curious to hear about it.
I am glad you mentioned the BioWheel 200 did not fit; I read it was 9 inches long, so it was considering it as an option. I am hoping that, in case I decide to go with a canister, I don't have to cut the lid and I can pass the pipes through the back opening. The Fluval 206 seems a good option, but right now I would hate spending an extra $120 with the same manufacturer, Fluval should give it to us for free
Mazingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #32
 
Galaxy Hunter's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingerz View Post
I am glad you mentioned the BioWheel 200 did not fit; I read it was 9 inches long, so it was considering it as an option. I am hoping that, in case I decide to go with a canister, I don't have to cut the lid and I can pass the pipes through the back opening. The Fluval 206 seems a good option, but right now I would hate spending an extra $120 with the same manufacturer, Fluval should give it to us for free
Yes they should ! And you are right, the pipes will fit through that opening without cutting. Wasn't thinking that through. I am currently converting my 30 gallon to a planted tank with CO2, getting plans together to set up a 55 that was given to me as a Cichlid tank, and just bought a Coralife BioCube 29 gallon to try my hand at reef keeping, so my brain is on overload ! Lots of reading and learning for sure! Take care and again good luck getting your tank worked out ...
Galaxy Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #33
 
My Accent's pump was installed backwards?

Hi all,

I have not tried the new filter pads I mentioned in my earlier post, but I noticed that my tank was not clearing up yesterday, even before adding fish and I had it set up for 4 days empty (just water and the included Biological supplement ). It wasn't really dirty, just the normal "haze" you get when you set up a new tank from leftover gravel dust, etc.

Anyway, I decided to take the pump assembly out and check things out. When I opened up the unit I noticed the pump was backwards !! Only one side of the pump draws in water, and mine had that side facing AWAY from the filter cartridge. I don't know if it's installed that way from Fluval on purpose, but I thought it made more sense for the side that draws in water to be facing the cartridge, since it's supposed to pull water through the ceramic media, up through the filter cartridge and out the top outlet.

After running the filter for a day, the tank is crystal clear and I also noticed the water level in the middle chamber is about and inch or so higher than it was previously. IT makes sense, with the pump facing the other way it's not putting much force on pulling water THROUGH the cartridge.

I'm not saying the is the cure-all for the filter problems, and I'm still going to try the Fluval 06 sponge, but it's worth checking yours and turning it around, it may help. :)
MIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
 
Some pictures

Here are some pics of the tank, you cam see it's pretty clear and the temp holds exactly at 79 with the included heater in the filter chamber. I just added some Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish yesterday. The poor guys are bored and slightly stressed because my plants and driftwood did not arrive yesterday because of the snow here, hopefully tomorrow.

I'll add more pics of the filter mod once I get the sponges in a few weeks. I'm not touching the filter again until the tank is done cycling.

Hmmm, I'm having trouble getting the images to show up....you can see them here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118061295@N07/

Last edited by MIFishGuy; 02-18-2014 at 09:59 PM..
MIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #35
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFishGuy View Post
Hi all,

I have not tried the new filter pads I mentioned in my earlier post, but I noticed that my tank was not clearing up yesterday, even before adding fish and I had it set up for 4 days empty (just water and the included Biological supplement ). It wasn't really dirty, just the normal "haze" you get when you set up a new tank from leftover gravel dust, etc.

Anyway, I decided to take the pump assembly out and check things out. When I opened up the unit I noticed the pump was backwards !! Only one side of the pump draws in water, and mine had that side facing AWAY from the filter cartridge. I don't know if it's installed that way from Fluval on purpose, but I thought it made more sense for the side that draws in water to be facing the cartridge, since it's supposed to pull water through the ceramic media, up through the filter cartridge and out the top outlet.

After running the filter for a day, the tank is crystal clear and I also noticed the water level in the middle chamber is about and inch or so higher than it was previously. IT makes sense, with the pump facing the other way it's not putting much force on pulling water THROUGH the cartridge.

I'm not saying the is the cure-all for the filter problems, and I'm still going to try the Fluval 06 sponge, but it's worth checking yours and turning it around, it may help. :)
Wow, that's surprising. In my case, the pump is assembled correctly (I am quite sure); the problem me and others are having is that the cartridge seems to be poorly designed and gets clogged very quickly.
Mazingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #36
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingerz View Post
Wow, that's surprising. In my case, the pump is assembled correctly (I am quite sure); the problem me and others are having is that the cartridge seems to be poorly designed and gets clogged very quickly.
Yes, that's why I mentioned I was going to try the foam from the Fluval Canister filters.....I have a few other ideas as well, but that one seems to be the easiest.. I'm just not messing with anything right now until the cycle is done in a few weeks.
MIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #37
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFishGuy View Post
Yes, that's why I mentioned I was going to try the foam from the Fluval Canister filters.....I have a few other ideas as well, but that one seems to be the easiest.. I'm just not messing with anything right now until the cycle is done in a few weeks.
I read your post yesterday and answered today (without re-reading it) so I forgot that part. I tried the U6 sponge a couple of weeks ago (I place it vertically, between the cartridge and the heater) and I didn't work well - the cartridge got dirty again. I think my experiment didn't work well because I was unable to cover the cartridge properly. Next weekend I may try to install it in a different way (at the bottom of the heater chamber), but I am not sure I'll find the time (my kids are starting to think that I am obsessed with this tank :))
Mazingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consp View Post
Don't bother testing the new cartridge. I received the U4 cartridge from Fluval support on January 15th. After 1 month, the tank is extremely dirty. This was coming from a pristine tank prior to the new cartridge. Really unhappy at this point, not only was this system a waste of money, now I have a mess to cleanup.

THE PROBLEM - The U4 cartridge does not fit. The reason they say it works better and that the water level will not drop, is because it is too small for the slot and therefore, it lets unfiltered water through the system.

Trying to save everyone the headache I just went through. Once you receive the new media, and you line it up, you will see what I am writing about.

Consp
I've been using the U4 cartridge the last couple of days. It's not as wide as the Accent cartridge, but it seems to work. The first day the cartridge got dirty and the water clean. So far it works (water stays clean and water level of middle chamber is not dropping), but it's probably (as you said) because it's letting unfiltered water flow through the edges.
Mazingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #39
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingerz View Post
I've been using the U4 cartridge the last couple of days. It's not as wide as the Accent cartridge, but it seems to work. The first day the cartridge got dirty and the water clean. So far it works (water stays clean and water level of middle chamber is not dropping), but it's probably (as you said) because it's letting unfiltered water flow through the edges.
Mazingerz (and everyone else :) ) I've looked at the U4 pads, they are really not very different from the Accent pads (material wise) so I'm not surprised they don't make much difference.

The sponge I'm referring to is for the Fluval 06 series canister filters. It's coarse, but does a decent job of trapping debris (I used to have several Fluval canisters years ago.)

This is the sponge: http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-I.../External/A226

I'm planning on ripping the pads off my used Accent cartridge and using the plastic frame. I think a few zip ties, and some careful trimming, would hold the sponge in place well and not allow any filter bypass if it's done correctly. I do know from my experience with the 406 canisters that even when these sponges get dirty the water flow is not significantly reduced. I used to only clean my canisters once every 6 weeks or so in two different 90 gallon heavily stocked tanks. I THINK this will work perfectly for the Accents filter and the water flow should be ok for 4 weeks in between cleanings. They can also be rinsed an reused SEVERAL times, I only replaced mine in the canisters every 4 months or so.

Again, my tank is still new and cycling so I'm not going to do any experimenting until the tank is stable. But I will report back here once I do with pictures. I love the Accent filter's look (having everything hidden), and I refuse to give up on it without trying a few things first.

I can tell you that turning the pump around with the intake on the same side as the cartridge has made a world of difference, but my tank is new still so the cartridge is not getting very dirty yet. I may even upgrade the Fluval pump with something stronger in the future. There's enough room for a decent Eheim pump with a higher GPH rating. So far, so good.

Last edited by MIFishGuy; 02-20-2014 at 02:49 PM..
MIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #40
 
Which U4 pad?

Mazingerz, I just realized there are THREE different U4 cartridges:

Poly/Carbon which is exactly like the Accent's:

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-I.../Internal/A492

Foam, which is similar to the one from the 06 canister I'm considering trying:

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-I.../Internal/A488

and Poly/"Clearmax".....

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Replacement-Parts/A483

I'm curious, which one are you using?
MIFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone know how to make an air pump pump water? wejlick1 DIY Aquarium 22 05-06-2014 04:34 AM
Fluval Accent? Deanna01 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 14 08-03-2013 07:13 PM
Water pump - above or below water level FishN00b Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 04-26-2007 10:30 AM


Tags
accent, filter, fluval

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.