Is fish keeping a disease? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Is fish keeping a disease?

Is fish keeping a disease?

This is a discussion on Is fish keeping a disease? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by jeaninel A disease? No. An addiction? Definitely! Fellow MTS sufferer here also. I also suffer from MBTS (Multiple Big Tank Syndrome). ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Silver Hatchetfish
Silver Hatchetfish
Black Neon Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Like Tree157Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Is fish keeping a disease?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
A disease? No. An addiction? Definitely! Fellow MTS sufferer here also. I also suffer from MBTS (Multiple Big Tank Syndrome). Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
A lot of people consider addiction to be a disease. I recognized I had a problem when I had more than 20 tanks. Now I have scaled back to just 5. Well, 5 show tanks...11 counting the supporting tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEasy3000 View Post
Little does she know that although it is sitting in the garage empty, I plan on resealing it and stocking it eventually. Sometimes it requires baby steps.

It's often easier to get forgiveness than permission




Just a suggestion - Stagger the intake levels. Have a couple low and a couple high.





Yes, there is such a thing as too much filtration.....




Again, just a suggestion - that's a LOT of substrate. I would remove a lot of it, so that it's no more than an inch higher than the trim.
Chesh likes this.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
 
I had 22 tanks in the house at one time. This is how I got the go ahead to build my first fishroom. Come to think of it, probably was not such a good idea because, there are way more that 22 how. I guess there are far worse thing I could throw money at and what's a couple 100,000 dollar over the passed 40 years to buy my happiness.

R
Chesh and UncleEasy3000 like this.
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
 
UncleEasy3000's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
A lot of people consider addiction to be a disease. I recognized I had a problem when I had more than 20 tanks. Now I have scaled back to just 5. Well, 5 show tanks...11 counting the supporting tanks.



Again, just a suggestion - that's a LOT of substrate. I would remove a lot of it, so that it's no more than an inch higher than the trim.
I usually do have a few high and a few low, however with this sand, I had a few filter motors stop and I had to clean them out because they got some grains in them, so i am paranoid now.. thats why I threw extra filtration in there.. the AC70's don't sit on the top molding well, they are ghetto rigged currently, I plan on getting two AC110's (I am scared of canisters, I always here they leak and I have a particle board stand. so I'll stick with HOB for now) Also I will be adding a small Powerhead for current and that should help stagger the filtration as well as promote me to keep the filters up high as to avoid getting sand in them - the sand I have is a very thick grain, almost a fine gravel.

The substrate was reduced dramatically upon switching it out of that weird 84 gallon long tank (72"x15"x18") - on a side note, I am still confused where the guy I brought it off of got it.. I cant seem to even determine if 84g have ever existed in the hobby.. must be a custom.. but why that footprint? a 100 gallon would only be 3" wider and just about take up the the same space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
I had 22 tanks in the house at one time. This is how I got the go ahead to build my first fishroom. Come to think of it, probably was not such a good idea because, there are way more that 22 how. I guess there are far worse thing I could throw money at and what's a couple 100,000 dollar over the passed 40 years to buy my happiness.

R

I want your life.
Chesh likes this.

Last edited by UncleEasy3000; 11-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Didn't want to double post.
UncleEasy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEasy3000 View Post
I usually do have a few high and a few low, however with this sand, I had a few filter motors stop and I had to clean them out because they got some grains in them, so i am paranoid now.. thats why I threw extra filtration in there.. the AC70's don't sit on the top molding well, they are ghetto rigged currently, I plan on getting two AC110's (I am scared of canisters, I always here they leak and I have a particle board stand. so I'll stick with HOB for now) Also I will be adding a small Powerhead for current and that should help stagger the filtration as well as promote me to keep the filters up high as to avoid getting sand in them - the sand I have is a very thick grain, almost a fine gravel.

The substrate was reduced dramatically upon switching it out of that weird 84 gallon long tank (72"x15"x18") - on a side note, I am still confused where the guy I brought it off of got it.. I cant seem to even determine if 84g have ever existed in the hobby.. must be a custom.. but why that footprint? a 100 gallon would only be 3" wider and just about take up the the same space.
It sounds custom - footprint is likely designed for the space they had available

I know canisters can be intimidating, but they are very easy to work with. If you are concerned about the filter leaking, then don't read up on leaky fish tanks..... The risks of both are about equal. While it does happen from time to time, it's not something to be concerned about. ACs are pretty quiet, but they are no where near as quiet as a canister. And there are good canisters out there that are not very expensive - on the order of an AC110. And canisters are impervious to sand. I could go on and on and on....
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #15
 
The only canister filter I ever had a problem with was a Marineland Magnum 350. It was a boat anchor the day it can out of the box.
R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rickey For This Useful Post:
UncleEasy3000 (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Agree, I have 4 Eheims and a Fluval, never had a leak (3+ years).
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
 
UncleEasy3000's Avatar
 
So me and the old lady had a bit of an argument last night..

It started earlier that morning when she started to insinuate that although we had an agreement to get rid of the 84g long, that it would be cool to turn it into a reptile tank. I agreed, and immediately it got turned back onto me that I went back on my word.

Long annoying story short, This morning when we woke up and made up, she said that she wants me to reseal it and set it up in the garage.
willow and Chesh like this.
UncleEasy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Sounds like entrapment!
keepsmiling likes this.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
 
UncleEasy3000's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Sounds like entrapment!
I don't really know what to do here.. I'm just going to follow her suggestion and reseal it at least this way I can keep it or sell it with ease knowing it will be less likely to spring a leak.

The trouble is I'm already trying to decide what to stock it with.. haha!

My name is Ian, and I have MTS
willow and keepsmiling like this.
UncleEasy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
 
perfect explanation

Great description of syndrome afflicting most of the members here.

As I've said before, if I get any more tanks I'll have to move out or hang my bed from the ceiling. LOL
rickey likes this.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new here not new to fish keeping deniselovestochat Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 12-19-2012 01:33 PM
New to fish keeping Sanchez324 Introduce Yourself 3 03-16-2012 05:24 PM
Hi I am new to all this fish keeping Mattcot Introduce Yourself 11 11-20-2010 05:34 PM
New To Fish Keeping And Need Some Help Jamesy14 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 11 04-22-2009 10:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.