Fish ID Help? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By emeraldsky
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Fish ID Help?

There was a really neat looking fish at my LFS
The owner called it a marbled goby but I looked it up and it doesnt look like one at all

Any one have an idea on what it is?
Id like to research care on them and possibly own one.

It was about 3 inches long and pretty pale looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0513.jpg (34.6 KB, 57 views)


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
I just did a few google searches and it kind of looks like a cobalt goby, but I honestly have no idea nor experience.

Try searching "types of freshwater goby" in images...there are a lot. And that's assuming it is a goby. Maybe someone will come along who's had experience with this fish :)

Also, don't you love mis-identified fish? Haha :)
jentralala is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
I just did a few google searches and it kind of looks like a cobalt goby, but I honestly have no idea nor experience.

Try searching "types of freshwater goby" in images...there are a lot. And that's assuming it is a goby. Maybe someone will come along who's had experience with this fish :)

Also, don't you love mis-identified fish? Haha :)
Misidentified fish seem to be a stable in some of my LFS hah!

I had already looked up freshwater goby before posting but I'll try it again and see what I can come up with. Im pretty sure its a goby though, they seem to be a pretty distinctive fish c:

Im pretty sure it wasnt a cobalt goby though, there wasnt a black stripe running through it.


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Alright, after several hours of looking, i think ive narrowed it down to a two different gobies


stiphodon ornatus
stiphodon elegans


I cant really tell other than that since the one i saw was super washed out


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 AM
this looks really close to it. same pattern an stuff ˇiRhinogobius brunneusˇj==Digital Museum of Zoology, NTU==
rexpepper651 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper651 View Post
this looks really close to it. same pattern an stuff ˇiRhinogobius brunneusˇj==Digital Museum of Zoology, NTU==
I actually came across that page when I was looking

I passed on that one since the mouth looked different and there wasnt the hint of red in the top fin like the one i saw.

thank you though!
rexpepper651 likes this.


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Pinning down the species from that photo is not easy. The fins are not discernable, nor the head. It is a goby I think we all agree, but which one...?

The most commonly-imported species are two very similar, Rhinogobius candidianus and R. cf. nantaiensis. These are not normal "community" fish, so they need a tank set up to provide for their specific requirements. And tankmates must obviously be well selected to match.

Here is some info on the first species mentioned.
Rhinogobius candidianus (Ctenogobius candidianus, Rhinogobius taiwanus) — Seriously Fish

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Pinning down the species from that photo is not easy. The fins are not discernable, nor the head. It is a goby I think we all agree, but which one...?

The most commonly-imported species are two very similar, Rhinogobius candidianus and R. cf. nantaiensis. These are not normal "community" fish, so they need a tank set up to provide for their specific requirements. And tankmates must obviously be well selected to match.

Here is some info on the first species mentioned.
Rhinogobius candidianus (Ctenogobius candidianus, Rhinogobius taiwanus) — Seriously Fish

Byron.

Thank you Byron,
I wish I had taken some more pictures, unfortunately this shop is a bit of aways from me. They were also zooming around the tank so that was the clearest shot I could get.

Is goby care generally the same for these species?
I have enough room to set up another tank I think and Id like to have a few of these guys, they were really interesting!


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
I was just talking about that fish the other night with a friend of mine. It looks a like Stiphodon gobies. Possibly Stiphodon semoni. This is Seriously Fish's article about them. Really neat little fish, but they have pretty specific needs. Would go great in a hillstream tank, tho.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I was just talking about that fish the other night with a friend of mine. It looks a like Stiphodon gobies. Possibly Stiphodon semoni. This is Seriously Fish's article about them. Really neat little fish, but they have pretty specific needs. Would go great in a hillstream tank, tho.


Well I HAVE been looking for an excuse to set up a tank for hillstream loaches :P


I may put off getting these guys just yet, Id much rather have a large stream type tank set up and go all out with it, rather than just stuffing them in a small tank.


Current:
5g: Betta
20g Long: Endlers/Sorority/Cherry Shrimp
20g Long: Espei Tetras/Otos/Pgmy Cories/Assassin Snails
---------------------------

emeraldsky is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome