Fish Dying, no idea why! :(
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Fish Dying, no idea why! :(

Fish Dying, no idea why! :(

This is a discussion on Fish Dying, no idea why! :( within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hey, I have a 24g and it has become a death aquarium :'( It has killed my last 2 goldfish who had been fine ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Bronze Cory
Bronze Cory
Pictus Catfish
Pictus Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Fish Dying, no idea why! :(
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
Exclamation Fish Dying, no idea why! :(

Hey, I have a 24g and it has become a death aquarium :'(
It has killed my last 2 goldfish who had been fine up until then so i went and got my water tested. The man at the shop said there was zero ammonia zero nitrite and safe levels of everything else apart from phosphates. So i bought phosphate remover and tried again with 6 tiger barbs, by the morning they had died too :( So now i'm just stuck with a fishless tank that makes me sad everytime i look at it.
Please help :(
If it helps, i added new gravel and new water conditioner at around the time they started dying...
Also my apple snail and zebra snail have both lived through it with no effects :S

ALSO, there seems to be a thin film on top of the water that when you look at it from below looks weird and when i touch it, it breaks a small hole, which is soon filled again...

Any diseases or previous conditions with these effects? :'(
Btw, before the fish were sitting on the bottom of the tank before they died if that helps
HMlairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
How long was the tank running with the goldfish before they died? And did they die about the same time, or how long apart?

What was done to the tank after the goldfish died before the Tiger Barb were introduced?

I am inclined to think this is ammonia poisoning from the substrate being replaced (a lot of bacteria lives in the substrate) regardless of the store's "test" results which may be inaccurate. Was this change before the goldfish deaths?

Which water conditoner do you use? And are there any other substances besides the conditioner going in the tank?

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
The goldfish were in there for 6 months before they died.
They both died within 24 hours of eachother.
I drained the tank completely for about a week to kill off any chance of a disease and kept my filter going in a seperate bowl to keep it cycling.
I changed the substrate after the goldfish died but before the barbs were entered (Added the gravel after i drained it).
I use tetra aqua safe which is a big company so is pretty legit.
And only other thing that went into the tank was the phosphate removing.
What's this ammonia poisoning?
HMlairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I can't be sure on the goldfish issue; if they were OK for 6 months and then both died within a day, it would seem something got into the water. Two goldfish will produce a lot of waste and be quite a load on the tank's biological system, but I would expect to see a more gradual decline. Of course, perhaps there were signs you didn't pick up on (?). I can't offer much more on that.

The barb issue would seem to me to be ammonia. The new substrate and thorough cleaning would have killed off all the nitrifying bacteria, so when the barbs were added to the tank, ammonia would rise and this is highly toxic to fish. The bacteria in the filter would likely not have been sufficient, and if they were without ammonia for a period they would be in a state of "hibernation" anyway and it takes time to wake them up, so to speak. So this is the ammonia poisoning. And if ammonia didn't do it, the subsequent nitrite rise would. The fish sitting on the substrate would also suggest poisoning by ammonia or nitrite. Gasping at the surface is another frequent sign of these. Of course, another possibility is something toxic during the "cleaning." Or that phosphate remover, could you explain what that was exactly?

The surface film you mentioned earlier is a protein scum, common in many tanks. Not really a problem, except the thicker it is the less exchange of oxygen/carbon dioxide can occur. I see this in some tanks, not in others. It obviously has to do with the biological system. A filter that breaks the surface will help to keep it minimal, or one that skims the surface by pulling water across the surface and into the filter. You can get these surface skimmers for many canister-type filters. When I do the water change, I turn the hose upwards to skim it off in the tanks that have it.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
Well the same day i bought the new water conditioner, I bought a new snail from the same place which (i'm ashamed to say) I did not quarrantine because it's a pretty legit and there were actually goldfish being kept with those snails. That was around the time the fish started sitting on the floor... My shubunkin sunk while dead but my black moor floated btw...

I didn't use any products while cleaning, just rinsing with tap water.

The phosphate is called Phosex rapid (Charterhouse Aquatics: JBL PhosEx Rapid 250ml) and the person in the shop recommended it.

I just turned my filter's bubbler jets this morning and it has created big bubbles at one end of the tank about the size of golf balls stuck to the side and staying still, does that sound like protein?
HMlairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
 
i'm thinking you haven't cleaned the gravel well enough, usually when you steep gravel, a thin layer appears on the top of the water, and when i have used new gravel in the past, i have also had a number of fish die, i think certain gravel comes with curses!
MadeInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMlairy View Post
Well the same day i bought the new water conditioner, I bought a new snail from the same place which (i'm ashamed to say) I did not quarrantine because it's a pretty legit and there were actually goldfish being kept with those snails. That was around the time the fish started sitting on the floor... My shubunkin sunk while dead but my black moor floated btw...

I didn't use any products while cleaning, just rinsing with tap water.

The phosphate is called Phosex rapid (Charterhouse Aquatics: JBL PhosEx Rapid 250ml) and the person in the shop recommended it.

I just turned my filter's bubbler jets this morning and it has created big bubbles at one end of the tank about the size of golf balls stuck to the side and staying still, does that sound like protein?
The phosphate issue sounds a bit unlikely, I still think the issue with the barbs was cycling. I myself would not use that product, any chemical going into a tank with fish wilol have some effect on the fish, it may be bad or it may not, but it is still an effect. Everything in the water gets inside the fish, so the less the better. Not suggesting this killed the fish, just a caution about using chemicals. Best not to.

The bubbles are air. I would not have these when fish are in the tank, air bubbles of this sort can affect fish.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
I rinsed the gravel pretty good and and did about 80% water change on it after my barbs died :/

And Byron don't worry I'm not using it anymore.
But when i got the water tested later that day at the shop, they said there was zero ammonia.
And tiger barbs are supposed to be quite hardy fish, and they died in less than 24 hours :(
HMlairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
 
hmmm....it could have been the gravel, or it could have been a big difference in the water ph's or temps from the pet store to your tank, it could have just shocked them
MadeInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
Do you know what test kit they were using at the store? I personally have never gotten my water tested at a store, but in the past have called to find out what they were using. All the stores I called said they used strips (which is why I never bothered taking my water to them). Do you have a test kit of your own? A lot of people here recommend the API liquid master test kit, and that's the one I use myself. It's a bit pricier than strips (if my memory is correct, it's around $45), but you get more tests out of the kit and it's more accurate, so it's definitely worth picking up.
iamgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The bass in my lake are dying- any idea why? aunt kymmie Ponds and Waterfalls 10 08-31-2009 03:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.