first freshwater aquarium
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » first freshwater aquarium

first freshwater aquarium

This is a discussion on first freshwater aquarium within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I've been a reefkeeper forever, but wanted a simple desktop aquarium. Here is my first attempt. So that I don't make the sames mistakes ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Tail Spot Cory
Tail Spot Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
first freshwater aquarium
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
 
first freshwater aquarium

I've been a reefkeeper forever, but wanted a simple desktop aquarium.

Here is my first attempt. So that I don't make the sames mistakes any noob makes, I would love some input.

imcosmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
I'm a little confused. Is this a video of your tank? Or is something like this what you want?

Also welcome! I believe there is also a saltwater forum you can browse. I only do freshwater, so I never venture there.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
 
it's my tank that was shot in this video, was set up this past sunday on my desk.

I did some preliminary research, but I wanted to make sure I don't screw this up from the start. I used this substrate

and someone said to use "root tabs" but I don't know what those are.
imcosmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Wow you must be going for something nice. All that stuff is for well-planted tanks. Could you tell us what fish you have and how many? Plants? As well as your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, hardness)? What filter you are running, tank size?

BTW, beautiful cinematography.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Wow you must be going for something nice. All that stuff is for well-planted tanks. Could you tell us what fish you have and how many? Plants? As well as your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, hardness)? What filter you are running, tank size?

BTW, beautiful cinematography.
thanks!

oh boy...ok, I'll try.

the tank is about 5Gallons, I have 2 guppies and pleco. I had 2 shrimp, but one is dead, the guppies wouldn't leave it alone (I didn't know).

I have no idea what the plants are.....

I have not measured pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or hardness.I use ro/di water. The substrate I picked was by total luck, didn't know it was good :)
imcosmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Root tabs are pretty much as they sound. They are tablets, usually gel caps, that are filled with time release fertilizer that are inserted at the base of plants into the substrate. You can get them commercially or buy them from someone who makes them, usually with Osmocote, or you could make them yourself. The ferts. are supposed to last several months.

You can see them here...

The Planted Tank Forum
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Root tabs are pretty much as they sound. They are tablets, usually gel caps, that are filled with time release fertilizer that are inserted at the base of plants into the substrate. You can get them commercially or buy them from someone who makes them, usually with Osmocote, or you could make them yourself. The ferts. are supposed to last several months.

You can see them here...

The Planted Tank Forum
tyvm!
imcosmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Do you still have the packaging the plants came in? I think I saw some java fern in there. Only some plants need root tabs. Java fern is not a rooted plant, so it won't need tabs. I try to stick away from rooted plants, but with your substrate you probably could. There is a whole section in the fish profiles devoted to plants. Or you could take some pictures over the guys in the plants forum. I only do low-tech setups, so I really couldn't help you too much there.

For the fish: I would see if you can return the pleco and get another guppy. Most species of pleco grow huge! What you have is a baby. If you don't want any baby guppies be sure you only have one gender of guppies. Do you have a heater for the little guys? They are a tropical fish and like higher than room temp temperatures.

You really need to test the ammonia. Because you just set up the tank it is likely to have an ammonia spike which is very harmful to your fish. The plants will help take the ammonia out of the water, but you should still be doing daily water changes if you just set up the tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree, with that substrate you won't need root tabs. A liquid fert once a week will help though, esp for the non-substrate plants. I recommend Flourish Comprehensive Supplement; a small bottle will last you months with just this tank, you use very little, about 1/4 teaspoon once a week in a 5g tank.

You should find out your water parameters, meaning hardness and pH. For your tap water, from the water supply folks. You mention using RO water, is there a reason? Are you mixing it with tap water?

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Agree, with that substrate you won't need root tabs. A liquid fert once a week will help though, esp for the non-substrate plants. I recommend Flourish Comprehensive Supplement; a small bottle will last you months with just this tank, you use very little, about 1/4 teaspoon once a week in a 5g tank.

You should find out your water parameters, meaning hardness and pH. For your tap water, from the water supply folks. You mention using RO water, is there a reason? Are you mixing it with tap water?

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.
Thanks Byron.

I use RO/DI water because I already have it for my reef tanks. Is there a reason not to use it? Wouldn't it have chlorine in it? and nitrates? (at least that is why we do that in SW).

By hardness, are you guys talking about alkalinity? Sorry for to basic questions, I just know nothing :)

If you ever have any saltwater questions, I'm your guy.
imcosmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting freshwater aquarium James Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 07-03-2008 06:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.