First Aquarium, Suggestions/thoughts - Page 13
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » First Aquarium, Suggestions/thoughts

First Aquarium, Suggestions/thoughts

This is a discussion on First Aquarium, Suggestions/thoughts within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by neo83 Thanks very much Byron. The reading from the tap water according to the water board is 38ppm, although when i ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Cardinal Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid
Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
First Aquarium, Suggestions/thoughts
Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #121
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo83 View Post
Thanks very much Byron.

The reading from the tap water according to the water board is 38ppm, although when i tested before, it was anywhere between 40-80ppm on API liquid kit. I'll test it again before the next water change. Yes, i remember the 2 minutes shake as advised by you in this thread before :).

I have come across fluval life-glo with 6700K rating. That is closer to 6500K. would you think that'll be suitable?
That's fine; by "around 6500K" I mean roughly 6000K-7000K, most manufacturers are 6500K, Hagen's Life-Glo is 6700K and Hagen make Fluval brand so that is fine. It's your call, Fluval may be more expensive than hardware store tubes, but either will be good.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #122
 
neo83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
That's fine; by "around 6500K" I mean roughly 6000K-7000K, most manufacturers are 6500K, Hagen's Life-Glo is 6700K and Hagen make Fluval brand so that is fine. It's your call, Fluval may be more expensive than hardware store tubes, but either will be good.
I would definitely like to spend as little as possible, but the only reason i was looking at hagen is as we were discussing earlier, i dont have a glass pane to stop condensation on the lights. So if i get any other tube, will it be no problem in my circumstances or are they all same?
neo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #123
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo83 View Post
I would definitely like to spend as little as possible, but the only reason i was looking at hagen is as we were discussing earlier, i dont have a glass pane to stop condensation on the lights. So if i get any other tube, will it be no problem in my circumstances or are they all same?
The tube makes no difference. The issue I see is water getting on the hot tube and causing it to crack or break. All tubes heat up as they burn, and the tank water is cooler than the tube. There may be tubes out there that are specifically desinged to handle this, I've never noticed them if there are; all fixtures I've seen require a glass pane between the tube and water surface.

With sufficient space between the water surface and the tube it may be unlikely. Normal condensation is somewhat different, if you look at the tubes first thing in the morning you will undoubtedly find they are coated with water drops, as would be the glass cover or any tank hood. Warm water evaporates and condenses on anything and everything. Once the tubes are lit, the heat causes the water on them to evaporate, but this is slow and should cause no harm. It is water splashing onto the heated tube that is the danger.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #124
 
neo83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
The tube makes no difference. The issue I see is water getting on the hot tube and causing it to crack or break. All tubes heat up as they burn, and the tank water is cooler than the tube. There may be tubes out there that are specifically desinged to handle this, I've never noticed them if there are; all fixtures I've seen require a glass pane between the tube and water surface.

With sufficient space between the water surface and the tube it may be unlikely. Normal condensation is somewhat different, if you look at the tubes first thing in the morning you will undoubtedly find they are coated with water drops, as would be the glass cover or any tank hood. Warm water evaporates and condenses on anything and everything. Once the tubes are lit, the heat causes the water on them to evaporate, but this is slow and should cause no harm. It is water splashing onto the heated tube that is the danger.
I'll contact Fluval and see what they advice. Also, the approximate distance between the maximum water level marking and the tube itself is around 1.5". So, not sure if that's a safe distance, but let's see what fluval say.

I have looked at the Hagen Life-glo and it's 17 which i think and as you said is a rip off. I couldn't find any Philips/Ge/Sylvannia or any other tubes for that matter near my work place. I'll check some stores over the weekend to see if i can get one of these brands cheaper.

BTW, Any suggestions on automatic food feeders btw?

Thanks
neo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #125
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo83 View Post
I'll contact Fluval and see what they advice. Also, the approximate distance between the maximum water level marking and the tube itself is around 1.5". So, not sure if that's a safe distance, but let's see what fluval say.

I have looked at the Hagen Life-glo and it's 17 which i think and as you said is a rip off. I couldn't find any Philips/Ge/Sylvannia or any other tubes for that matter near my work place. I'll check some stores over the weekend to see if i can get one of these brands cheaper.

BTW, Any suggestions on automatic food feeders btw?

Thanks
It appears you are in the UK, so check with your larger hardware/home improvement type stores; in NA we have Home Depot, Lowes, and similar.

I do not recommend auto feeders. They have been known to malfunction, either not feeding or dumping all of it. If this is due to absence from home, fish can last a week and longer without feeding if they are healthy (and not fry which need more food regularly to grow and develop properly). Or if you can get a trusted person to feed them, preferably another aquarist who will understand things and not be likely to overfeed.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #126
 
neo83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
It appears you are in the UK, so check with your larger hardware/home improvement type stores; in NA we have Home Depot, Lowes, and similar.

I do not recommend auto feeders. They have been known to malfunction, either not feeding or dumping all of it. If this is due to absence from home, fish can last a week and longer without feeding if they are healthy (and not fry which need more food regularly to grow and develop properly). Or if you can get a trusted person to feed them, preferably another aquarist who will understand things and not be likely to overfeed.
Thanks Byron. I'll browse some hardware stores on the weekend. Feeder wise, i might not be getting anyone available unfortunately. If I have no choice, i might have to use one. So, will appreciate any recommendations.
neo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #127
 
neo83's Avatar
 
Guys i have a quick question about my apistogramma viejita.

I have today seen a black clearly visible blotch on the viejita. It surely wasnt there before and only noticed it today. The only difference today is i have added a female apisto for the male. Is it some sickness or is it part of the show to the female (as it has never left the female till now and been following her showing off all afternoon)? Appreciate any help. The pictures are below:
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

This is the video of the apisto and clearly there is no distinct black spot on it

Thanks

Last edited by neo83; 11-20-2010 at 06:08 PM..
neo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new aquarium - need suggestions ramon82 Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 09-05-2010 09:15 PM
Looking for 29G/36G/40G aquarium suggestions pengin Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 06-23-2008 09:58 PM


Tags
fishless cycle, newbie, stocking help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.