Filter media? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Filter media?

So I keep hearing that is better not to use the replaceable filter cartridge if you have plants. So I was wondering what kinda set up you guy use. As of right now I have an aquaeon quiet 50 hob what set up would you recommend ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdawg355 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
You can use the cartridges made for it, just cut a slice near the frame and remove the charcoal. A little messy but it works :)

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Ok cool I was expeirimenting last night with some large universal replacements last night and they aren't even sealed just a little plastic clip that slides on and off
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdawg355 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
i also cut my filter pads when i had my aqueon 55/75 hob filter to remove the carbon. now im using a fluval 306 and an api xp2 on my two planted tanks. no carbon just sponge media and some bio media ceramic tubes.
rexpepper651 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper651 View Post
i also cut my filter pads when i had my aqueon 55/75 hob filter to remove the carbon. now im using a fluval 306 and an api xp2 on my two planted tanks. no carbon just sponge media and some bio media ceramic tubes.
I wanna put a canister filter on my 55 but the smaller tanks I wasn't sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdawg355 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM
depends on the size of the smaller tanks. they do make different sizes. i would recommend a canister on your 55. thats what both my tanks are and i love my filters. the tanks are in my room and im a very light sleeper the hobs were too loud for me.
rexpepper651 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper651 View Post
depends on the size of the smaller tanks. they do make different sizes. i would recommend a canister on your 55. thats what both my tanks are and i love my filters. the tanks are in my room and im a very light sleeper the hobs were too loud for me.
I have a 10 that I just finished cycling and picked up a 20 bowfront yesterday for $10
Posted via Mobile Device
rexpepper651 likes this.
Bigdawg355 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 05:15 PM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
I put a 220 on my 37 gallon. It works well but is overkill. I DIY'd the spraybar to reduce the output velocity and will change it again to reduce it more.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I put a 220 on my 37 gallon. It works well but is overkill. I DIY'd the spraybar to reduce the output velocity and will change it again to reduce it more.

Jeff.
I'm not even sure what the smallest one is
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdawg355 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg355 View Post
I'm not even sure what the smallest one is
Posted via Mobile Device
fluval makes a canister for 25 gallon tanks as well as 40 gallon and so forth
rexpepper651 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter Cartridges or Filter Media TurnerD Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 01-17-2012 12:28 AM
Alternative filter media for power filter okiemavis Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 04-05-2008 02:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome