Filter Choice for 20 Long
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Filter Choice for 20 Long

Filter Choice for 20 Long

This is a discussion on Filter Choice for 20 Long within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Currently working on setting up at 20 gallon long PLANTED betta sorority. Not sure if should go with a sponge filter (For Example: Amazon.com: ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Buenos Aires Tetra
Buenos Aires Tetra
Banded Dwarf Loach
Banded Dwarf Loach
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Filter Choice for 20 Long
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Filter Choice for 20 Long

Currently working on setting up at 20 gallon long PLANTED betta sorority.

Not sure if should go with a sponge filter (For Example:
Amazon.com: Elite Single Sponge Filter: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Elite Single Sponge Filter: Pet Supplies
)

or if we should go with the Fluval U1 since sponge filters tend to be a tad noisy and this tank is in a bedroom.

( Fluval U1
Amazon.com: Fluval U1 Underwater Filter: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Fluval U1 Underwater Filter: Pet Supplies
)

thanks in advance =)

Jessica
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
I think this comes down to your choice. Personally, I like sponge filters since they are fry-safe, cheap (you can buy two of some sponge filters plus an air pump for the Fluval's price) and some are stackable - they can be grouped/scaled up if you move them to a larger tank. Admittedly, I've never found a really, really, quiet air pump, so that is an issue if you don't like a background "hum". Sponge filters aren't pretty, but they do work well. I'm using stacked sponge filters in my 125 and the water quality is great! Do another search for "sponge filters" on Amazon, you'll even see some triangular corner ones and some priced at $4-$6.

I've never used the Fluval and it looks like it would work, but it's also rated for "up to" 15 gallons, so might be undersize for you. I wonder how large the included foam pad is? I bet you'd have more actual filter media surface using something like the HydroSponge II.

Last edited by DKRST; 06-27-2013 at 11:57 AM..
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DKRST For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
I think this comes down to your choice. Personally, I like sponge filters since they are fry-safe, cheap (you can buy two of some sponge filters plus an air pump for the Fluval's price) and some are stackable - they can be grouped/scaled up if you move them to a larger tank. Admittedly, I've never found a really, really, quiet air pump, so that is an issue if you don't like a background "hum". Sponge filters aren't pretty, but they do work well. I'm using stacked sponge filters in my 125 and the water quality is great! Do another search for "sponge filters" on Amazon, you'll even see some triangular corner ones and some priced at $4-$6.

I've never used the Fluval and it looks like it would work, but it's also rated for "up to" 15 gallons, so might be undersize for you. I wonder how large the included foam pad is? I bet you'd have more actual filter media surface using something like the HydroSponge II.

I've only used HOB and canister filters so when it comes to sponge filters or anything else I'm at a completely loss aside from the random bits of research I've gathered from forum searching.

The canister is pretty much dead silent unless I put my ear to the darn thing, and the HOB's I've had have a slight hum and occasionally a trickle if if the water evaporates low enough. But I'm not really even sure how loud a sponge filter really is.

I had cheap dinky sponger filter that came with some Grow-A-Frog kit aaaaages ago as a kid and I know that was pretty noisy. If its not much louder than an HOB I'd be okay with that. I was initially looking to buy a sponge filter for it until I read they were noisy.

With the Fluval one I linked, there are different models with higher ratings, I believe the "U2" is like 10-30 or something. And I believe the Fluval U1 was suggested in as a sponge filter sub in a few posts on here.

EITHER way, I'm still not sure unless the sponge filter "noise" issue isn't really all that loud. It would just blend in with the 3 HOB filters in the room >,>
rexpepper651 likes this.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
If you buy a high-quality air pump, the noise shouldn't be bad, certanly no worse than the gurgle from an HOB. The sponge filter itself won't make any noise, just the air pump running it. Oh, and don't forget to buy some airstones and air line if you order a sponge filter. Not using an airstone will make the sponge filter noisy and much less efficient.

Get two stackabe small sponges if they'll fit, or run one sponge filter at each end of the 20 long (probably a better idea, but then you'll need an air control valve and a slightly larger air pump). To clean, take one sponge, rinse well with dechlorinated water to preserve the bacterial bed, and reinstall. The next week, clean the other sponge.

I really like the Hydro-Sponge line, nice 1" tubes and stackable. Darn things never wear out.
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DKRST For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
If you buy a high-quality air pump, the noise shouldn't be bad, certanly no worse than the gurgle from an HOB. The sponge filter itself won't make any noise, just the air pump running it. Oh, and don't forget to buy some airstones and air line if you order a sponge filter. Not using an airstone will make the sponge filter noisy and much less efficient.

Get two stackabe small sponges if they'll fit, or run one sponge filter at each end of the 20 long (probably a better idea, but then you'll need an air control valve and a slightly larger air pump). To clean, take one sponge, rinse well with dechlorinated water to preserve the bacterial bed, and reinstall. The next week, clean the other sponge.

I really like the Hydro-Sponge line, nice 1" tubes and stackable. Darn things never wear out.
I definitely like the one at each end idea. I was looking at the Hydro ones or the Hagen Elite ones. Thanks for the tip on the air stones, I didn't know that =)
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
 
For something like this I highly suggest going the route of a Sponge Filter. It's going to be the least likely to create excess current which betta's tend to not like (unless you go with plakats).

Ditto on the noise thing though. I've run a few different things thing, and with sponge filters I prefer a power head. I'm not sure you can find one small enough and gentle enough for the intended tank.

Whispers, FYI don't bother with them air pump wise. Noisy buggers, no matter how big or small you buy them. Now that said Deep Blue makes one call the Deep Blue Sphere. It surprised me out much more quiet those cheap units are when compared to the Whisper: Deep Blue Pro Air Pumps

But it's still a cheap unit. I bought one, it was good. Bought a second didn't work. Third one worked...this is at different times. I currently run one of these as a supplemental for my 150 hooked to an air-stone disk. The noise isn't that bad.

I've heard mixed reviews on Fluval's air pumps. Mostly that they stop working after a while, sooner than they should.

Warning! Make sure if you go this route with an air pump that you pick up a check valve. Otherwise you run the risk of water backing up into the unit the moment you have loss of power or disconnect the unit from power. The check valve prevents this by creating a one way for air. Nothing can come back the other way. They are not expensive and worth the extra few dollars for the safety factor.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 06-27-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguinefox For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (06-27-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
anyone have experience with the Rena air pumps?

Aquarium Air Pumps: Rena Air Pumps

Seems to have "decent" reviews both on drfostersandsmith and amazon. I don't see many brands with any "stellar" reviews. Rena seemed to be one of the better.

Was going to do a hydro sponge filter on each side as suggest.

Not sure which model to get. This 20 long will eventually be swapped with a 36 bow.. which is the same length just taller and a tad deeper.

I was thinking the 300 model which says 30-80 gallons. Would that be too strong? Models 200-400 have an airflow adjustment knob.

Models: 100 1-10 gal
200 10-20 gal
300 30-80 gal
400 65-160 gal
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
I've had three Renas so far, all different sizes (100, 200, and 300). Ok pumps, but they just don't seem to put out as much air as I'd expect for the size. I also don't like the way the hose attachment point is recessed. I've had the hose slip off a couple of times and on one pump the plastic deformed (do NOT use silicone airline against the Rena plastic-some strange chemical reaction), making it almost impossible to connect the airline to the pump. I went with one of the deepwater whispers for my 125. GREAT pump for massive air volume, but noisy as heck. Unfortunately, I think it's almost a roll of the dice with air pumps.

+1 on the check valve or you can place the pump somewhere above the water line.
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
I got a Rena for the sponge filter in my ten gallon and it was ridiculously noisy. Maybe I'm just used to my dead silent canister and AquaClear, but it kept me up at night (tank is also in my bedroom).

That is, until it fell on the floor and broke, in a way that lessened the air output and made it dead silent o.0 I have no idea what happened, but now it has a low air output and makes no noise whatsoever.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
I got a Rena for the sponge filter in my ten gallon and it was ridiculously noisy. Maybe I'm just used to my dead silent canister and AquaClear, but it kept me up at night (tank is also in my bedroom).

That is, until it fell on the floor and broke, in a way that lessened the air output and made it dead silent o.0 I have no idea what happened, but now it has a low air output and makes no noise whatsoever.
Rofl, that's kind of odd. I'm thinking no matter which air pump I chose its going to be a ton noisier than my canister. Probably as loud or slightly louder than my HOB's when they run sort of low. I suppose I'll deal. Can't be any worse than 4 male african clawed frogs calling all night long. >,> That cr*p is LOUD.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter choice? Vpaw Beginner Planted Aquarium 14 06-09-2013 11:16 AM
Filter malfunction: how long are bacteria safe when the filter stops running? Lost Eventide Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 09-09-2012 04:12 AM
Broken Filter! Best Filter for 40 long? HaleyM Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 12 04-09-2012 03:06 PM
Choice of filter marlin Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 08-22-2011 06:33 PM
What is your filter of choice? mcb5522 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 10-26-2010 04:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.