Filter Broke - Need Help
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Filter Broke - Need Help

Filter Broke - Need Help

This is a discussion on Filter Broke - Need Help within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hey all So my wife texted me when I was at work today and said the power strip to the tank had been shut ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Oscar
Oscar
Glowlight Danio
Glowlight Danio
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Filter Broke - Need Help
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
 
Filter Broke - Need Help

Hey all

So my wife texted me when I was at work today and said the power strip to the tank had been shut off but when she turned it back on the filter never started back up. The other things in that strip work - and the filter won't work using another outlet - so I assume it is just the filter. I have read about cleaning it and I will give that a shot.

However -- I bought a new filter -- a different type - the Tetra Whisper which uses a different filter (the charcoal pad thing is the same, the other filter is not) than the Tetra Filter that just broke. So how would I go about installing the new Filter without causing the tank to cycle? Maybe I am off base but I dont want to put the new filter in and have all the fish die. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
efeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by efeene View Post
Hey all

So my wife texted me when I was at work today and said the power strip to the tank had been shut off but when she turned it back on the filter never started back up. The other things in that strip work - and the filter won't work using another outlet - so I assume it is just the filter. I have read about cleaning it and I will give that a shot.

However -- I bought a new filter -- a different type - the Tetra Whisper which uses a different filter (the charcoal pad thing is the same, the other filter is not) than the Tetra Filter that just broke. So how would I go about installing the new Filter without causing the tank to cycle? Maybe I am off base but I dont want to put the new filter in and have all the fish die. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Put all of the media from the broke filter that you can into the new filter (wouldn't worry about the carbon tbh), the foam, floss, or whatever is in it. Cut it to size if you have to, but just get it in there asap, and you should be fine.
gregedinburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
 
i did that and it worked great. Even when i got a new tank no cycle down time at all
bohmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
 
I got the original working again after a cleaning.. it wasnt even very "dirty" but after I took it apart and put it back together it worked.

The two filters are VERY different. The filter from the original filter is like a black, course, rectangle brillo pad ish thing. The filter on the new filter is vastly different, blue plastic background with white circles covered in plastic prongs.. just weird. Not sure how I would have used the black course filter in the sleek new plastic filter thing haha. Glad it didnt come to that.

Another question I guess would be how to get a new filter "up to speed" as a replacement? How can I get the new filter I bought ready for my tank short of having a new tank to cycle?
efeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
 
The notion that bacteria only lives in the filter is very wrong. The filter is a good place, but it's not the only place. If a tank has been running for say 3-6 months, there is beneficial biology in the substrate like you wouldn't believe.
Consider that there are thousands of cartridge type filters out there and sooner or later, cartridges get replaced....without carnage. How?....because there is ample beneficial biology elsewhere in the established tank. Yes, there was biology in the old cartridge was lost, but the tank soon compensates.
Want to be extra conservative?...just hang the old filter material in the tank for two weeks following a new filter replacement.

AD
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
The notion that bacteria only lives in the filter is very wrong. The filter is a good place, but it's not the only place. If a tank has been running for say 3-6 months, there is beneficial biology in the substrate like you wouldn't believe.
Consider that there are thousands of cartridge type filters out there and sooner or later, cartridges get replaced....without carnage. How?....because there is ample beneficial biology elsewhere in the established tank. Yes, there was biology in the old cartridge was lost, but the tank soon compensates.
Want to be extra conservative?...just hang the old filter material in the tank for two weeks following a new filter replacement.

AD
Thanks man good to know! My tank is heavily planted as well and also has some driftwood - is this a positive or negative - or does it have no real effect on the filter replacement? I believe its a positive thing and should help if I were to have to change the filter.. but I could be wrong haha.
efeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by efeene View Post
Thanks man good to know! My tank is heavily planted as well and also has some driftwood - is this a positive or negative - or does it have no real effect on the filter replacement? I believe its a positive thing and should help if I were to have to change the filter.. but I could be wrong haha.
In a heavily planted tank ammonia is absorbed by the plants so very little bacteria conversion of ammonia and nitrites occurs. So there is very little beneficial N2 bacteria in the tank.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
In a heavily planted tank ammonia is absorbed by the plants so very little bacteria conversion of ammonia and nitrites occurs. So there is very little beneficial N2 bacteria in the tank.

So then it would be a detriment to having to establish a new filter in my tank. Hmm.. ok thanks!
efeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by efeene View Post
So then it would be a detriment to having to establish a new filter in my tank. Hmm.. ok thanks!
Not sure I understand what you mean?... plants make switching filters and filter media simpler since the tank eco-system is even less dependent on BB altogether AND in the filter.
Also, plants reduce the creation of nitrates which improves water quality.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean?... plants make switching filters and filter media simpler since the tank eco-system is even less dependent on BB altogether AND in the filter.
Also, plants reduce the creation of nitrates which improves water quality.
My fault. I was misunderstanding what you were saying. Planted tank makes it easier because the tank isn't as dependent on that filter bacteria. Old filter is running smoothly and the new filter will be a backup / starter on any new tank I get. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
efeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter Broke... FluffyWolf2 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 08-12-2012 11:43 AM
filter broke, buying a new one slojko Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 07-20-2012 08:26 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.