08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
| || |
Well if it is Zeolite there was no real reason to use it unless oyu were having a major problem with ammonia. The crystals absorb ammonia and if they remove enough of it your beneficial bacteria won't have enough to feed on and it will die. I would remove it immediately otherwise you could be dependant on it to control your ammonia or have to cycle your tank again.
The only media you should use in your filter should be inert. Biochem stars, ceramic rings, bioballs, and such things have no effect on the chemistry on the tank but do allow for more surface area for beneficial bacteria.
As for your pH changes, I would be trying to figure out why my pH is dropping 1.2 points. I don't know why it would. I keep 2 of my tanks at 7.2 and one of them is almost 8 and I change 50% weekly from tap water that is neutral. The tnak that is at 8 only changes to 7.6 and goes back to 8 in less than 24 hours. The larger concern is what your KH is because if that is too low then a pH swing is more harmful where if your KH is at least 3dKH or 48ppm a pH swing is not as dangerous nor as harmful to the fish.