02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by FishLover61
I did a test of my tap water (ph, ammonia,nitrite and nitrate) and all were normal and safe except for nitrate which was at 5.0 ppm.
According to the above post, if my ph is low then it kinda offsets my higher ammonia reading. Is that correct? also, since I am using Prime as my declorinator, that might be making my ammonia reading higher. Is that right?
Finally, I have several plants that I've had in there for weeks. I don't know the name of them all but wisteria is one of them and I have several. I probably have 8 plants (bunches) in my tank. I plan on doing more as time and budget permit.
What happens is prime locks up the ammonia but that ammonia (with normal ammonia test kits) still tests as ammonia. Even though the ammonia may be safe(r). The danger is you add prime, still test ammonia, add more prime and so on. Plus prime also locks up oxygen so the fish can suffocate with almost exactly the same symptoms as ammonia poisoning. In fact, your low pH may also be because of the prime.
I would stop using the prime and stop doing regular water changes. Just replace what evaporated every other day or so. And stop feeding the fish for a few days. I think you will find your ammonia will drop to unmeasureable levels and you pH will rise.
I would also measure pH just before lights out. PH will rise after light on and drop after lights out due to the plants consuming carbon dioxide.