Well figured I should update this. Patience and persistence has finally paid off. This take is now 7.5 weeks old and is now very well planted and stocked with some fish. Nothing has really changed apart from just giving it time to settle. I added driftwood and replaced the HOT magnum with a power driven sponge filter since the HOT could not handle the amount of debris. Fish are currently a random mix of about 12 wcmm, one leopard daino, a really fat glo fish, 3 old dyed white skirt tetras, and 3 corys. Most of the latter were given to me.
This was at about one week old. The very first plants I stuck in here when it was a day or two old turned to complete mush, and I mean completely. It was almost impressive how fast they died. I stuck more plants in later and after quite a few large water changes. A lot of these plants did get pretty shocked but a most have recovered.
And about 3 weeks old it was starting to grow in.
Then 5 weeks old.
And lastly today. This was also its similar appearance last week. In the course of about 18 days its produced over a pound of salvania and dwarf water lettuce. I removed 1/2 pound 10 days ago and a 1/2+ again today. I've started heavily controlling the floating plants as their light blocking and nutrient absorption is very handy at times but can also be a hindrance once the rest is established. The water lettuce I also find messy as it likes to shed parts of its roots alot. I am dosing fertilizers, heavy like always
. Same dosage my 55 high tech tank is getting along with 50% water changes weekly. It has been running the full lighting 108 watts or 2.7 wpg of spiral CFLs for 12 hours a day. I will post some pics of the trimmed tank tomorrow.