Dirty gravel and such - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
Dirty gravel and such

So my 10g has been up for about 3 weeks now and some of the gravel is getting really dirty. There is a specific spot that most of the fish hang out and I know they're defecating there so that spot is getting really dirty. It isn't all of the gravel just pieces here and there that have greenish/brown stuff on them. How should I go about cleaning it?

Also, the glass at the bottom of the aquarium is also getting dirty as well as a pot I have in there. I know I can just wipe clean the dirty glass but what should I do about the dirty pot? Just take it out and give it scrub down?

thanks!

RIP Purp
brancasterr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
If your just dealing with left overs so to say then I'd use a gravel vacuum for your weekly water exchange. Just push it in the gravel a lil bit and suck up the dirt and keep on doing this until you have your 30-40% water out each week to replace with fresh.
If however the 'stuff' on your gravel is more hair like or slime like or green dots on your front glass then you're dealing with algae there.

~ Life Is Too Short, Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love Truly, Laugh Uncontrollably And Never Regret Anything that Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party We Hoped For, But While We're Here, We Should Dance. ~
Angel079 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Kim
Member
 
If this is a new tank, then it is probably just brown algae (diatoms actually). This is very commom when a tank is first set up, and once it becomes more established the algae should become less of a problem. I would simply vacuum the gravel carefully (too much at once may mess up your cycle), and take out the pot and give it a scrub in the old tank water. The glass can be easily wiped down- my favorite are those magnetic scrubbers because they are so easy and make less water disruption as you use them. Hope this helps!

20 gallon long: 3 adult Neolamprologus similis + about 11 fry of various ages; low light planted tank
20 gallon long:2 freshwater dwarf puffers (Puff Puff and Poofer); medium-light planted tank
10 gallon: 1 male betta named Wormy; low light planted tank
10 gallon: 1 male betta named Dante; low light planted tank
2, 5.5 gallon tanks that are currently empty (I see more fish on the horizon )
Kim is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
If your just dealing with left overs so to say then I'd use a gravel vacuum for your weekly water exchange. Just push it in the gravel a lil bit and suck up the dirt and keep on doing this until you have your 30-40% water out each week to replace with fresh.
If however the 'stuff' on your gravel is more hair like or slime like or green dots on your front glass then you're dealing with algae there.
They aren't leftovers. My cories make sure those are all gone. :P But I do use the gravel vacuum with my water changes to get some of the gunk in the gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
If this is a new tank, then it is probably just brown algae (diatoms actually). This is very commom when a tank is first set up, and once it becomes more established the algae should become less of a problem. I would simply vacuum the gravel carefully (too much at once may mess up your cycle), and take out the pot and give it a scrub in the old tank water. The glass can be easily wiped down- my favorite are those magnetic scrubbers because they are so easy and make less water disruption as you use them. Hope this helps!
It is a new tank and it does look like it could be algae. So this isn't much of a big deal then? Last water change I did I vacuumed a lot of the gravel and my cycle seems to be fine still but I'll be more careful next time. As for the scrubber, I should check that out. In the mean time what can I use to clean the glass?

Thanks guys. :)

RIP Purp
brancasterr is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
They aren't leftovers. My cories make sure those are all gone. :P But I do use the gravel vacuum with my water changes to get some of the gunk in the gravel.



It is a new tank and it does look like it could be algae. So this isn't much of a big deal then? Last water change I did I vacuumed a lot of the gravel and my cycle seems to be fine still but I'll be more careful next time. As for the scrubber, I should check that out. In the mean time what can I use to clean the glass?

Thanks guys. :)
You can use a clean paper towel folded into fourths to clean the glass. Just make sure your hands don't have any soap,hand lotion,etc on them .

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Diatoms are quite simple to determine...Does it look like someone sprinkled Cinnamon over your decor/ plants? Then that's diatoms!

For cleaning the inside of my tank's glasses I simple use a new kitchen sponge that's never been in touch with chem's (you know the 1's green on one side and yellow on the other) that's what I have been using w/out issues for years now. Just be sure you get no gravel/ sand between the glass & sponge cause that WILL scratch your glass then.

~ Life Is Too Short, Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love Truly, Laugh Uncontrollably And Never Regret Anything that Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party We Hoped For, But While We're Here, We Should Dance. ~
Angel079 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
It does look like there is some cinnamon sprinkled over some of my plants. So this is probably diatoms. This is nothing to worry about? It will clear up on it's own?

RIP Purp
brancasterr is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Member
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
It usually does. It comes off pretty easily if you want to give it a wipe.

4 8 15 16 23 42
iamntbatman is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty water tcbehm Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 10-08-2009 06:54 AM
Dirty pond peterman Ponds and Waterfalls 0 05-10-2009 08:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome