Crisis!! Nail polish remover in tank - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Crisis!! Nail polish remover in tank

To make a long story short, my brother has anger problems. I accidentally saved something in Microsoft Word over a paper that he had written, so now he has no access to recovering it. He got mad and poured nail polish remover in my 2.5 gallon tank when I wasn't home. 5 minutes after he did that, my sister took the fish out and have them in a bowl with conditioned water. Will I still be able to use the actual tank if I clean it out really good? I'm not using the gravel, stones, or fake plants. But can I still use the actual tank? What should I clean it in? I'm so upset... I've had the tank for a month and a half and it was cycled and everything. I also have to put in a new filter cartridge in, but clean out the actual filter part. Is this what I should be doing? Please write back and help me!
ruby716 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Member
 
HMlairy's Avatar
 
I think the tank should be fine with a good clean with water (NO BLEACH), make sure you rince the decor as well.
I guess the nail polish remover would have killed the benfictial bacteria as well :/ How much did he put in?

Last edited by HMlairy; 03-31-2011 at 04:17 PM.
HMlairy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HMlairy For This Useful Post:
ruby716 (03-31-2011)
post #3 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Hi Ruby! Awww. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles! If there is no greasy film in any way then I would just rinse, rinse, rinse in hot water. If there is a greasy film for some reason then you need to get rid of that. Try to use something natural, vinegar, salt by the hand full (carefull not to scratch the plastic/glass), a very mild dish soap, like ONE drop, but nothing that is anti bacterial but I hate to advise that... and then Rinse, Rinse, Rinse and Rinse in hot water. Till it squeaks it's so clean!!
Good luck. I would say the worst has been done to them so just do your best, that's all you can do.

Every kid, regardless of what they are going through, is ONE caring adult away from being a success story. ~ Josh Shipp, Teen Behavior Expert
SeaHorse is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaHorse For This Useful Post:
ruby716 (03-31-2011)
post #4 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I think thats so wierd how someone is mad at someone, so they take it out on the defenseless pet. No offense to your brother but that stuff just really annoys me. but anyway, like Jakiebabie said, just rinse it very well with hot water and you should be fine.

"I know you'd rather be sad than stupid. Genius by day, Junkie by night. By the grace of breeze, I never scraped a knee that didn't help me see bleeding isn't what it seems."
~Eyedea
ElectricBlueJackDempsey is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricBlueJackDempsey For This Useful Post:
ruby716 (03-31-2011)
post #5 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Hi Ruby! Awww. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles! If there is no greasy film in any way then I would just rinse, rinse, rinse in hot water. If there is a greasy film for some reason then you need to get rid of that. Try to use something natural, vinegar, salt by the hand full (carefull not to scratch the plastic/glass), a very mild dish soap, like ONE drop, but nothing that is anti bacterial but I hate to advise that... and then Rinse, Rinse, Rinse and Rinse in hot water. Till it squeaks it's so clean!!
Good luck. I would say the worst has been done to them so just do your best, that's all you can do.

I don't think I should use anything in the tank though right? Just get rid of the old stuff and buy new rocks and whatnot.
ruby716 is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMlairy View Post
I think the tank should be fine with a good clean with water (NO BLEACH), make sure you rince the decor as well.
I guess the nail polish remover would have killed the benfictial bacteria as well :/ How much did he put in?

I'm not sure how much he put in, but the all of the water wreaked like it. I need to cycle it all over again =( But hopefully they don't die though because I'm cycling it with them in it.
ruby716 is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
what fish do you have?? 2.5 gallons seems pretty small....
amazon21 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
New Member
 
phluid13's Avatar
 
And when you're done doing that. If you haven't done so already apologize for saving over his paper. Then pop him one over the head. And then apologize and then pop him again and tell him that's what he gets for not backing up important information on a thumb drive. And then apologize once more for the error of your ways. Third times a charm. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
phluid13 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to phluid13 For This Useful Post:
ruby716 (03-31-2011)
post #9 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon21 View Post
what fish do you have?? 2.5 gallons seems pretty small....

I have 2 fancy tail guppies and 2 white cloud minnows and a ghost shrimp. They are all very very small. I know it may seem overstocked, but all of the water parameters were perfect, they were healthy and happy. I planned on moving them to a 10 gallon tank in a month because my fiance and I are getting an apt. together and there really is no room in the house right now for a 10 gallon.
ruby716 is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phluid13 View Post
And when you're done doing that. If you haven't done so already apologize for saving over his paper. Then pop him one over the head. And then apologize and then pop him again and tell him that's what he gets for not backing up important information on a thumb drive. And then apologize once more for the error of your ways. Third times a charm. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
definitely! thanks!
ruby716 is offline  
Reply

« Fish Fry | gravel »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tank crisis---late nighters help! stephanieleah Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 03-18-2010 06:17 PM
pH Crisis. PLEASE help. ruthirons Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 11-24-2008 08:29 PM
help me please... i'm in a crisis. mathguru Tropical Fish Diseases 4 07-06-2007 10:00 PM
phosphate remover usmc121581 Water Chemistry 4 09-15-2006 06:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome