CPDs and Microdevarios in planted Fluval Edge - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » CPDs and Microdevarios in planted Fluval Edge

CPDs and Microdevarios in planted Fluval Edge

This is a discussion on CPDs and Microdevarios in planted Fluval Edge within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Byron I gather than more numbers are important for Sundadanio axelrodi; 20 being minimum. I don't know your level of knowledge, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dojo Loach
Dojo Loach
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
CPDs and Microdevarios in planted Fluval Edge
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
 
plantedfluvaledge's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I gather than more numbers are important for Sundadanio axelrodi; 20 being minimum.

I don't know your level of knowledge, so my comments may be well known. Shoaling fish that are maintained in small numbers will become more aggressive because of this. Many factors affect this obviously, but the nippiness which is probably natural for the species is almost certainly to be increased with so few of them. I think both of these species should have more in their group.

Byron.
Thanks Byron,

I have to admit, I stupidly went on the advice of the aquarium I was buying from, who said that the 'dwarf green rasboras' (which is what they were calling the Sundadanio Axelrodi) did well as long as there were at least 5 of them. I will buy a few more and see if that settles them down - I guess I just have to try to make it work at this stage.

The CPDs seem like they're doing well - they eat well, they're out of the vegetation most of the time and their colour is improving every day. I think I'll just leave them in a group of 5 and keep an eye on things.

The most troubling thing is that my shrimp keep dying. I've lost 4 so far, after the cycling of the tank was complete. Water parameters have been completely stable during this time (Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates never going above about 5ppm and PH about 6.5) and I have no idea what is wrong. I have one little washed-out male left. Any advice?

Cheers,

Steve
plantedfluvaledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedfluvaledge View Post
Thanks Byron,

I have to admit, I stupidly went on the advice of the aquarium I was buying from, who said that the 'dwarf green rasboras' (which is what they were calling the Sundadanio Axelrodi) did well as long as there were at least 5 of them. I will buy a few more and see if that settles them down - I guess I just have to try to make it work at this stage.

The CPDs seem like they're doing well - they eat well, they're out of the vegetation most of the time and their colour is improving every day. I think I'll just leave them in a group of 5 and keep an eye on things.

The most troubling thing is that my shrimp keep dying. I've lost 4 so far, after the cycling of the tank was complete. Water parameters have been completely stable during this time (Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates never going above about 5ppm and PH about 6.5) and I have no idea what is wrong. I have one little washed-out male left. Any advice?

Cheers,

Steve
What is the GH? Shrimp generally do not fare well in soft water, and a pH of 6.5 would suggest a low GH.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
 
plantedfluvaledge's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What is the GH? Shrimp generally do not fare well in soft water, and a pH of 6.5 would suggest a low GH.
I don't have the GH/KH test kit at the moment (just the pH/Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate API freshwater master test kit). HOWEVER, I know that Melbourne's water is famously soft and maybe that's the problem? Is that likely to kill off shrimp in a week?

One thing that I just read on planetinverts.com is that Anubias and Crypt plants 'leak a toxic substance into the tank'. My feature plant is a big Anubias on a piece of driftwood, surrounded by planted Crypt so maybe I've found my answer?

S
plantedfluvaledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedfluvaledge View Post
I don't have the GH/KH test kit at the moment (just the pH/Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate API freshwater master test kit). HOWEVER, I know that Melbourne's water is famously soft and maybe that's the problem? Is that likely to kill off shrimp in a week?

One thing that I just read on planetinverts.com is that Anubias and Crypt plants 'leak a toxic substance into the tank'. My feature plant is a big Anubias on a piece of driftwood, surrounded by planted Crypt so maybe I've found my answer?

S
I've not heard of the plants being toxic to shrimp before, but that doesn't mean it may not be part of the issue.

But I can say with fair certainty that shrimp do not last in soft water. There is no calcium for their exoskeleton. Snails would have similar problems, except for the Malaysian Livebearing snail which is the only one I know of that manages fine in soft or hard water.

As the fish need the softness, I would accept that and forget shrimp.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
...

As the fish need the softness, I would accept that and forget shrimp.
Yah, that might be a wise idea.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluval Edge 6 gal? Toallhisdoom Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 125 01-24-2012 01:27 AM
new fluval edge Blackheart Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 06-12-2011 01:34 PM
Fluval Edge & EBI MagicMan Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 01-20-2011 06:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.