I used two empty tylenol containers (thoroughly washed out) and took samples of two tanks. This was yesterday. I brought them in to a tropical fish store for routine testing while I was buying fish.
Sample 1: Community 25 gallon tank. Ammonia level of .5 - 1.
Sample 2: 3 gallon betta tank. Same ammonia level.
Now here's the odd part..
-None of my fish are stressed at all.
-None have ammonia burns.
-All are healthy. My swordtail fry have been active and living fine since they were born yesterday (this amount of ammonia leads me to believe they'd die)
-I sometimes overfeed by accident, but not often. What food is not used is usually eaten by bottom feeders (shrimp etc) or scavenged up by my betta and pleco.
-I do weekly 25 percent water changes.
-The tank is not overcrowded (to my knowledge)
Is there a chance that the ammonia readings may be wrong due to any tylenol residue in the bottle I used to transport the samples? If the ammonia levels are this high, I would think that there'd be at least ONE thing wrong in the tank. Everything is perfect.
I remember one time I took a sample in for testing and the person working at the store accidentally used an unclean vial to measure ammonia. The ammonia level was 4. He tested again and it turned out to be 0. This was months ago, but is it possible something like this happened again?