Complicated Cycling Situation - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Also, would you guys recommend I get something to make my water not cloudy?
No. Many so-called clarifiers work by binding microscopic particulate matter into larger particles so they can more easily be removed by the filter media. But these chemicals also bind the fish's gills causing severe stress. The answer to cloudy water is to track down the cause and fix that.

It is normal to have cloudiness in a new tank, this can last from a day or two to several weeks. It will be whitish, and usually due to a bacterial bloom. It should be allowed to clear on its own.

Some substrates can cause cloudiness. And it can come from the tap water, this would show up right after a water change.

If it is green it could be "green water" which is caused by unicellular algae.

There are safe ways to deal with some types of cloudiness, using diatom and specific filter media for example.

The above is in general. A photo or description might help us sort out the cause.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Also, would you guys recommend I get something to make my water not cloudy?
Water Changes of at least 50% or more. Use Seachem Prime.

Putting more chemicals isn't necessary.

BUT as Byron states in this case:

Quote:
It is normal to have cloudiness in a new tank, this can last from a day or two to several weeks. It will be whitish, and usually due to a bacterial bloom. It should be allowed to clear on its own.

Some substrates can cause cloudiness. And it can come from the tap water, this would show up right after a water change.
Therefore just wait or post a picture.
Termato is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I'm pretty positive it's coming from my filter cartridge...it looks like little particles from the cartridge. Because whenever I do a water change, the water is clear, and then when I turn on my filter again, all the cloudiness comes pouring out. I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to change my cartridge...but everywhere I read, it says never to replace any filter stuff...?
rolo is offline  
post #24 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
I'm pretty positive it's coming from my filter cartridge...it looks like little particles from the cartridge. Because whenever I do a water change, the water is clear, and then when I turn on my filter again, all the cloudiness comes pouring out. I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to change my cartridge...but everywhere I read, it says never to replace any filter stuff...?
What type of filter? Filter media must be rinsed whenever necessary to keep it reasonably free of clogging matter that will make it less effective. Rinsing and replacing are two different things; media need not be replaced unless it no longer performs its task. The exception is chemical media, such as carbon, which will become less effective as it adsorbs more and more, and will need replacing as rinsing willnot clear it.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #25 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What type of filter? Filter media must be rinsed whenever necessary to keep it reasonably free of clogging matter that will make it less effective. Rinsing and replacing are two different things; media need not be replaced unless it no longer performs its task. The exception is chemical media, such as carbon, which will become less effective as it adsorbs more and more, and will need replacing as rinsing willnot clear it.
No my filter is not a carbon filter, and yes I do rinse it every once in a while, which seems to minimize the cloudiness after being rinsed, but it never goes away completley.
rolo is offline  
post #26 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
No my filter is not a carbon filter, and yes I do rinse it every once in a while, which seems to minimize the cloudiness after being rinsed, but it never goes away completley.
I read back through this thread to refresh my memory on the issues, and spotted something. Are you still using Big Al's conditioner? This can (often) cloud the water for a day or more after every water change. I was using this product recently and found this out, and have come across this online too. I've no idea of the cause, and it seems harmless, but all my tanks would cloud up the day following every water change, and usually cleared by the day following that, sometimes two days after. I used it up and am now on another product with no cloudiness.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I read back through this thread to refresh my memory on the issues, and spotted something. Are you still using Big Al's conditioner? This can (often) cloud the water for a day or more after every water change. I was using this product recently and found this out, and have come across this online too. I've no idea of the cause, and it seems harmless, but all my tanks would cloud up the day following every water change, and usually cleared by the day following that, sometimes two days after. I used it up and am now on another product with no cloudiness.
But the thing is that I have not done a water change in almost 2 weeks and it is still cloudy.
rolo is offline  
post #28 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
But the thing is that I have not done a water change in almost 2 weeks and it is still cloudy.
I think that is why it is cloudy.
Termato is offline  
post #29 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
I think that is why it is cloudy.
Regardless of how often I change or don't change my water, it is always cloudy.
rolo is offline  
post #30 of 65 Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Water changes must be every week, and 40-50% of the tank volume. And you are going tohave to describe the cloudiness more so we can pin it down; otherwise we are just guessing, and there are many possible causes. A photo would help.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Termato (03-31-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
most complicated setup EVER! teddyzaper Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 9 06-13-2010 10:12 PM
What Would You Do In This Situation? Zenandra Off Topic Discussions 23 02-04-2010 07:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome