Complicated Cycling Situation
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Complicated Cycling Situation

Complicated Cycling Situation

This is a discussion on Complicated Cycling Situation within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi all. This my first post on here, but I doubt it will be my last. I am also fairly new to the hobby, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Convict Cichlids
Convict Cichlids
False Network Catfish
False Network Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Complicated Cycling Situation
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
 
Complicated Cycling Situation

Hi all. This my first post on here, but I doubt it will be my last. I am also fairly new to the hobby, starting just before the new year. Okay well let me explain my situation...

First off, yes I initially opted for the fish in cycle as opposed to the fishless cycle...yes yes I know big idiot and I regret it. Now, I am at my 3 month mark. Up until 1 week ago I HAD 3 Pearl Danio's when 2 of them decided to eat the other one and then go mental, which resulted in me returning the remaining 2 to the aquarium store. So now I'm sitting here, 3 months after starting with my 10 gallon tank, still with an uncycled filter. My readings are:
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
which are also the same exact levels of my tap water. When I had the fish in I was doing 2-3 water changes a week and still kept getting the same readings. So basically my question is, and I think I know the answer but wanted to ask some veterans to clarify, whereabouts in the fishless cycle do I proceed from? I'm pretty sure I need to start from the beginning, using fish food as a source of ammonia.

Also, rougly how many fish food flakes are a good amount for a 10 gallon tank?

Any help and advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.
rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
First thing, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Now, there are two methods to cycle (other than using fish), one is the so-called fishless cycle, the other which I prefer is by using live aquarium plants. I can go into the latter in detail if you ask, but for now I'll refer you to an article (by another forum member) on cycling that will help you generally and with the fishless method if that is your choice; this article is actually a sticky at the head of this section but here's a link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Hi all. This my first post on here, but I doubt it will be my last. I am also fairly new to the hobby, starting just before the new year. Okay well let me explain my situation...

First off, yes I initially opted for the fish in cycle as opposed to the fishless cycle...yes yes I know big idiot and I regret it. Now, I am at my 3 month mark. Up until 1 week ago I HAD 3 Pearl Danio's when 2 of them decided to eat the other one and then go mental, which resulted in me returning the remaining 2 to the aquarium store. So now I'm sitting here, 3 months after starting with my 10 gallon tank, still with an uncycled filter. My readings are:
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
which are also the same exact levels of my tap water. When I had the fish in I was doing 2-3 water changes a week and still kept getting the same readings. So basically my question is, and I think I know the answer but wanted to ask some veterans to clarify, whereabouts in the fishless cycle do I proceed from? I'm pretty sure I need to start from the beginning, using fish food as a source of ammonia.

Also, rougly how many fish food flakes are a good amount for a 10 gallon tank?

Any help and advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.
Hey Rolo, welcome to the forum.

Your tank has been set up for 3 months and it has not cycled yet? I would assume you have had some issues with ammonia/nitrite right? If this is so and you still have everything running and the danios are gone then you still have a cycled tank. Although you shouldn't be getting ammonia readings.

Do you have real plants? If not I would suggest getting them, they look beautiful and are magnificent for your fish and cycling issues. You can read about it in the guides. Java Fern, Hornwort and Java Moss are 3 good low light plants and dont require too much (although hornwort is messy).

The plants will help adsorb any ammonia making your fish happier.

For your selection of fish:

Byron: Do you know that link to the thread of all good fish for micro aquariums. It has a list of all good fish for 1-5-10-20 and more gallon tanks? I cant find it. If you can post that here for him he might enjoy that :)
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Byron: Do you know that link to the thread of all good fish for micro aquariums. It has a list of all good fish for 1-5-10-20 and more gallon tanks? I cant find it. If you can post that here for him he might enjoy that :)
It was a thread in Freshwater Aquarium, here it is:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...no-fish-96186/

Some of these require soft water, others are fine in medium hard or hard, so that needs to be known too. Several are in our profiles.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Termato (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Hey Rolo, welcome to the forum.

Your tank has been set up for 3 months and it has not cycled yet? I would assume you have had some issues with ammonia/nitrite right? If this is so and you still have everything running and the danios are gone then you still have a cycled tank. Although you shouldn't be getting ammonia readings.

Do you have real plants? If not I would suggest getting them, they look beautiful and are magnificent for your fish and cycling issues. You can read about it in the guides. Java Fern, Hornwort and Java Moss are 3 good low light plants and dont require too much (although hornwort is messy).

The plants will help adsorb any ammonia making your fish happier.

For your selection of fish:

Byron: Do you know that link to the thread of all good fish for micro aquariums. It has a list of all good fish for 1-5-10-20 and more gallon tanks? I cant find it. If you can post that here for him he might enjoy that :)
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. Which of those plants would be the smallest? Also, when it comes to stocking it, when I do, I am planning on 6-8 different guppies.
rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. Which of those plants would be the smallest? Also, when it comes to stocking it, when I do, I am planning on 6-8 different guppies.
The names shaded, which means they (the plants) are included in the profiles, so info on their size will be there.

On the guppies, all males? Or male/female? With livebearers, it is better to have either all male (no fry issues) or if mixed have 2-3 females per male to avoid stress on the females by the males. And with both male/female, you will have hundreds of fry every couple months, and that can be problematic.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
The names shaded, which means they (the plants) are included in the profiles, so info on their size will be there.

On the guppies, all males? Or male/female? With livebearers, it is better to have either all male (no fry issues) or if mixed have 2-3 females per male to avoid stress on the females by the males. And with both male/female, you will have hundreds of fry every couple months, and that can be problematic.
I was thinking 2 males and 6 females. But back to my first post, why am I still getting that 0.50ppm of ammonia? My nitrites are 0ppm and my nitrates are at 5.0ppm which from what I've read is a healthy number. Why won't my ammonia hit 0? I am also using the API Freshwater Test Kit. And it's weird because 0.50ppm ammonia is also the reading of my tap water.
rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
I was thinking 2 males and 6 females. But back to my first post, why am I still getting that 0.50ppm of ammonia? My nitrites are 0ppm and my nitrates are at 5.0ppm which from what I've read is a healthy number. Why won't my ammonia hit 0? I am also using the API Freshwater Test Kit. And it's weird because 0.50ppm ammonia is also the reading of my tap water.
unless you want to get another tank or sell your fish I would not recommend getting males. Live bearers are overwhelming. They reproduce like wild fire.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
unless you want to get another tank or sell your fish I would not recommend getting males. Live bearers are overwhelming. They reproduce like wild fire.
Would you recommend all males or all females?
rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
Would you recommend all males or all females?
Females. The males will be more likely to fight one another.

The thing is when you buy them...their usually already pregnant...unless you get them real small.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termato For This Useful Post:
rolo (03-25-2012)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
most complicated setup EVER! teddyzaper Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 9 06-13-2010 10:12 PM
What Would You Do In This Situation? Zenandra Off Topic Discussions 23 02-04-2010 07:55 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.