Colored bulbs
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Colored bulbs

Colored bulbs

This is a discussion on Colored bulbs within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> What are some aquarium safe colored bulbs that I can use to light up a tank at night so it's not too bright but ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Roberts Tetra
Roberts Tetra
Reply
Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
 
Colored bulbs

What are some aquarium safe colored bulbs that I can use to light up a tank at night so it's not too bright but bright enough to see...I need to be careful because if it's too bright my catfish will freak out and possibly break the tank
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
What are some aquarium safe colored bulbs that I can use to light up a tank at night so it's not too bright but bright enough to see...I need to be careful because if it's too bright my catfish will freak out and possibly break the tank
I could be wrong, if i am someone will correct me, but fish may need darkness at night to relieve the stress of the day. How big is your tank? How big is your catfish? That being said, I dont know about bulbs so i raided the kids toy box and got pieces of colored plastic racetrack and laid it under the bulb and on the glass panel that keeps water off the bulbs. It gives a nice subdued orange tint, (or any color you can find laying around.)
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I could be wrong, if i am someone will correct me, but fish may need darkness at night to relieve the stress of the day. How big is your tank? How big is your catfish? That being said, I dont know about bulbs so i raided the kids toy box and got pieces of colored plastic racetrack and laid it under the bulb and on the glass panel that keeps water off the bulbs. It gives a nice subdued orange tint, (or any color you can find laying around.)
I wanted it more for daylight ours but a bright light, and no where to hide, scares them and they freak out
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
I wanted it more for daylight ours but a bright light, and no where to hide, scares them and they freak out
i agree , my fish love dark spots , i keep it dim with colored plastics .
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
 
What about a blue actinic light?
Posted via Mobile Device
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
What about a blue actinic light?
Posted via Mobile Device
try it. blues a nice color. keep in mind, fish get an important vitamin from light that is essential for health.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
 
I'll try, the blue, white light freaks mine out
Posted via Mobile Device
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Dim lighting is what you want, rather than blue. Most of the fish we keep occur in waters with far less light than we put over our tanks. So keeping the light minimal (if you have plants, this has to be considered, but without live plants the light can be very low), and providing shade especially with floating plants, will usually work.

And maintain a regular period of light/dark, rather than turning the tank light on and off sporadically, as this can unsettle fish too.

You can read some of the reasons why here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Tigris (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Dim lighting is what you want, rather than blue. Most of the fish we keep occur in waters with far less light than we put over our tanks. So keeping the light minimal (if you have plants, this has to be considered, but without live plants the light can be very low), and providing shade especially with floating plants, will usually work.

And maintain a regular period of light/dark, rather than turning the tank light on and off sporadically, as this can unsettle fish too.

You can read some of the reasons why here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/

Byron.

What kind of floating plants?
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
What kind of floating plants?
If there are no lower plants requiring light, then a fairly thick carpet of floating plants is fine, as they will significantly shade the light. I have had floating plants so thick the lower part of the tank is almost in darkness.

Water Sprite is ideal for this, it is fast growing and produces daughter plants rapidly. Something like duckweed is less useful as it will quickly multiply but it is very thin and light still gets through. Amazon Frogbit is another good one, though not easy to maintain for everyone, and similar there is dwarf water lettuce. Some of these are in our profiles, click the shaded names.

Some stem plants will grow well floating. The common Hornwort is a true floater. With enough of this, it will shade the tank. Brazilian Pennywort is one of my favourites as it grows very fast and thick. Green Cabomba is similar to Hornwort but a bit fussier.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black light - or colored bulbs? zomblue Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 09-16-2009 09:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.