cloudy water. Help!!!!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » cloudy water. Help!!!!

cloudy water. Help!!!!

This is a discussion on cloudy water. Help!!!! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> hey guys, recently i installed a fluval 406 canister filter. i had two penguin 200 power filters. i took one out so i can ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Ghost Knifefish
Black Ghost Knifefish
Silvertip Tetra
Silvertip Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
cloudy water. Help!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
cloudy water. Help!!!!

hey guys, recently i installed a fluval 406 canister filter. i had two penguin 200 power filters. i took one out so i can make room for the canister tubes. i still have the other penguin in there. i keep on having cloudy water and its been about 3 weeks since the install of the canister filter. i did a water change yesterday and its still cloudy. i tried using acurel f and it didnt work so i decided to put in my uv sterlizer to c if it will help. am i doing something wrong? please help me out.
svtcobra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
 
When you changed filters, you probably temporarily broke the nitrogen cycle. "Bacterial Blossom - Often cloudy water doesn't appear the instant an aquarium is set up. Instead it appears days, weeks, or even months later. In these cases the cause is usually due to bacterial bloom. As the new aquarium goes through the initial break in cycle, it is not unusual for the water to become cloudy, or at least a little hazy. It will take several weeks to several months to establish bacterial colonies that are able to clear wastes from the water. Over time that cloudiness will resolve itself". Cloudy Water Causes and Cures
Keleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleborn View Post
When you changed filters, you probably temporarily broke the nitrogen cycle. "Bacterial Blossom - Often cloudy water doesn't appear the instant an aquarium is set up. Instead it appears days, weeks, or even months later. In these cases the cause is usually due to bacterial bloom. As the new aquarium goes through the initial break in cycle, it is not unusual for the water to become cloudy, or at least a little hazy. It will take several weeks to several months to establish bacterial colonies that are able to clear wastes from the water. Over time that cloudiness will resolve itself". Cloudy Water Causes and Cures

it keeps on getting worse and worse everyday. i dont know what to do at this point. i have tried everything at this point.
svtcobra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
 
What does a water test give you for ammonia, nitites, & natrate?
Keleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleborn View Post
What does a water test give you for ammonia, nitites, & natrate?

i didnt do a water test because i ran out of strips but my fish are looking very healthy and dont show any sign of illness due to poor water quality. i dont know if i have to wait longer for the good bacteria to settle into the canister, its been running for about 3 weeks now. i am new to the whole canister filters and i dont know if it just takes a little longer.
svtcobra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
 
Kill the lifhgts and stop adding food.

Should clear up in a week or two.

Then resume with less lighting and feeding and adjust till the water stays clear.
beaslbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
 
If your fish look healthy, it's probably just a bacterial bloom caused by changing the number of good filter bacteria. It can take over a month to clear up, because you can't raise the temp over 85 to speed things up. If you had another tank set up & cycled that you could put your fish in, you could raise the temp, otherwise, you just have to wait it out. Let us know if your fish start looking ill, and try to get your water tested. Some pet stores will do it for free, if you take a sample of your water to them.
Keleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleborn View Post
If your fish look healthy, it's probably just a bacterial bloom caused by changing the number of good filter bacteria. It can take over a month to clear up, because you can't raise the temp over 85 to speed things up. If you had another tank set up & cycled that you could put your fish in, you could raise the temp, otherwise, you just have to wait it out. Let us know if your fish start looking ill, and try to get your water tested. Some pet stores will do it for free, if you take a sample of your water to them.
i will go and buy test strips this weekend and i will let you guys know what the water is like. would running a uv sterlizer be bad for the tank if it has the bacterial bloom?
svtcobra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
 
The idea behind a uv sterilizer is to kill anything living in the water that might harm your fish. Unfortunately, it kills the good stuff, too, so I would say no to the uv, but, I've never used one, as most of the literature says it's not worth the effort or expense in freshwater. Hopefully, we'll get somebody with enough experience in uv to weigh in here.
Keleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
yea you do have a point. i really appreciate all the help
svtcobra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just did 50 water change cloudy really cloudy southamericancichlidguy23 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 44 01-19-2010 12:28 AM
White Cloudy Water + Dead Fish after water change HELP!!! eviltuna Tropical Fish Diseases 8 03-05-2008 12:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.