Cloudy water
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Cloudy water

Cloudy water

This is a discussion on Cloudy water within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I have a 38 gallon tank that is cycling and a recently added sand as the substrate but i forgot to wash it and ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Spotted Driftwood Cat
Spotted Driftwood Cat
Discus
Discus
Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
Exclamation Cloudy water

I have a 38 gallon tank that is cycling and a recently added sand as the substrate but i forgot to wash it and the water is all cloudy it is in a sealed package and is supposed to be pre washed. I took some out to wash (about 20 pounds). Will it hurt the fish and what should i do to clear the water?
Thanks

Last edited by fishysrfun; 07-30-2012 at 07:08 PM..
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysrfun View Post
I have a 38 gallon tank that is cycling and a recently added sand as the substrate but i forgot to wash it and the water is all cloudy it is in a sealed package and is supposed to be pre washed. I took some out to wash (about 20 pounds). Will it hurt the fish and what should i do to clear the water?
Thanks
What type of sand? If it is something like playsand, it has fine dirt in it which is why we wash it so much, but this will not hurt the fish. It just looks unsightly. It will eventually clear. I have removed all the sand once, when i didn't wash it enough, and re-washed it. If you don;t have fish in the tank, this is best. You can also do a major water change siphoning out all the water you can, and hold the siphon close to the bottom (not into the sand, but just above it) to pick up as much dirt as you can.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What type of sand? If it is something like playsand, it has fine dirt in it which is why we wash it so much, but this will not hurt the fish. It just looks unsightly. It will eventually clear. I have removed all the sand once, when i didn't wash it enough, and re-washed it. If you don;t have fish in the tank, this is best. You can also do a major water change siphoning out all the water you can, and hold the siphon close to the bottom (not into the sand, but just above it) to pick up as much dirt as you can.

Byron.
It is aquarium sand from Petco. How do i go about taking all the sand out?
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysrfun View Post
It is aquarium sand from Petco. How do i go about taking all the sand out?
Drain the water out. Then use something to dig out the sand into a bucket. I use a small plastic container that I use only for fish-related. A cup will work, or a small trowell. Just be careful not to scratch the glass. Sand and gravel rubbed against glass will scratch it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
fishysrfun (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
Ok il have to try that thanks for your help
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
Oh also when i was washing the 20 pounds i took out it started to rain so i left it out in the rain will that harm the fish?
There is also little air bubbles on the sand are they a problem?

Last edited by fishysrfun; 07-30-2012 at 08:02 PM..
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysrfun View Post
Oh also when i was washing the 20 pounds i took out it started to rain so i left it out in the rain will that harm the fish?
No. Rinse it off though, dirt can be in rain when it first starts.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
fishysrfun (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
There are little bubbles on top of the sand do you know why (sorry for all these questions)
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysrfun View Post
There are little bubbles on top of the sand do you know why (sorry for all these questions)
Probably air. Give the sand a bit of a stir (with water in the tank) to release them at once.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
Cool i washed it and everything seems to have cleared up Yay!
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just did 50 water change cloudy really cloudy southamericancichlidguy23 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 44 01-19-2010 12:28 AM
White Cloudy Water + Dead Fish after water change HELP!!! eviltuna Tropical Fish Diseases 8 03-05-2008 12:03 AM
help cloudy water after water change angel62 Tropical Fish Diseases 5 02-22-2007 02:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.