Canister Filter? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Cool Canister Filter?

I have always used the Marineland Penguin HOB Bio Wheel filters on all my tanks, but as always I am planning for the future. I always heard good things particularly towards the EHEIM brand. I would like to get the best of the best since this is a long turn hobby that I have and will continue to pursue. Specifically, I was looking at the EHEIM Professionel 3e because you can adjust the flow rate on it. I currently have a 27gal cube tank but would like to expand into the 60's and 70's when I get the room.

My concerns are:
How loud are they since I currently have the tank in my bedroom?
Is it expensive to maintain (filter media)?
How often do you have to clean them, and what are the chances of spilling/leaking water?
How long does the system last (I am looking for years)?

All input is accepted as I know nothing about canister filters.

Thanks,
MetalArm3
MetalArm3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Member
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Most of the planted tank guys I know do not use anything but ehiems. I do not yet own any but I have a buddy who has 3 or 4, all of which are 5-10 years old and completely silent. I have also hear most of the filter media is reusable after a rinsing.
lorax84 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Just giving you a huge thumbs up for the canister. I have a Rena XP3 running on my 75 gallon for about a year now.

They are virtually silent and I've never replaced any of the filter pads, stars, bio-balls - just give them a rinse in tank water and put them back in the baskets after you empty the gunky water out of the filter. The only thing I ever replace is the filter floss pad in the top basket and you can get a boatload of it really cheap online.

I usually clean out the filter once every month or month-1/2. I know there are folks who go a lot longer without any problems.

Good luck - you won't be sorry.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
My rena XP3 has been running for about 6 years with the original coarse sponges on my 55 gallon planted. Some of the original media are chemical filtration which I suggest removing. The fine sponges I would suggest replacing with just cheap filter floss once they are done in. You can rinse them until they start clumping up. Its really quiet if you make sure all the air is out of it. I am debating replacing the gaskets on it since they are still original. It took me awhile to get the main gasket to seal last time I opened it.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
My rena XP3 has been running for about 6 years with the original coarse sponges on my 55 gallon planted. Some of the original media are chemical filtration which I suggest removing. The fine sponges I would suggest replacing with just cheap filter floss once they are done in. You can rinse them until they start clumping up. Its really quiet if you make sure all the air is out of it. I am debating replacing the gaskets on it since they are still original. It took me awhile to get the main gasket to seal last time I opened it.
I just added more stars and bio-balls and never threw out the original media since it doesn't get gunky. And yes, the filter floss replaces the fine sponge in the top basket.

I'm glad to hear that the coarse sponges have lasted all that time for you because that means I've got a lot of years of life left in mine. Thx.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I have Eheim and Rena XP filters. Product reviews consistently rate Eheim #1, Rena #2 and Fluval #3, of those three brands. And Eheim always comes out #1 with any canister.

I have had my Eheim on the 90g running constantly now for 14 years non-stop and never a problem, never failed, always good. It also has a built-in heating unit which I really like. My other Eheim is the same model minus the heating unit, and I've had it for 15 years but it was not running for a couple years when I had one less tank.

The Rena XP I really like as a filter. The question though is how long it will last? Rena does not have the proven track record because it has not been around very long. Some I have talked to feel they will not last like Eheim filters.

For media, you will need the pads for the filter which usually come with it, though Eheim didn't used to but I believe they do now. The other media, I use Fluval because it is less than half the cost and just as good. Ceramic disks for the bottom, then some sort of biological rock, but this can be removed and replaced with pea gravel, lava rock, etc. I rinse mine and use it forever because I have planted tanks and biological filtration is secondary.

You asked about noise. My Rena I can hear running in the fish room, but I cannot hear the Eheims at all, unless I literally put my ear right on it. They are super quiet.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I have Eheim and Rena XP filters. Product reviews consistently rate Eheim #1, Rena #2 and Fluval #3, of those three brands. And Eheim always comes out #1 with any canister.

I have had my Eheim on the 90g running constantly now for 14 years non-stop and never a problem, never failed, always good. It also has a built-in heating unit which I really like. My other Eheim is the same model minus the heating unit, and I've had it for 15 years but it was not running for a couple years when I had one less tank.

The Rena XP I really like as a filter. The question though is how long it will last? Rena does not have the proven track record because it has not been around very long. Some I have talked to feel they will not last like Eheim filters.

For media, you will need the pads for the filter which usually come with it, though Eheim didn't used to but I believe they do now. The other media, I use Fluval because it is less than half the cost and just as good. Ceramic disks for the bottom, then some sort of biological rock, but this can be removed and replaced with pea gravel, lava rock, etc. I rinse mine and use it forever because I have planted tanks and biological filtration is secondary.

You asked about noise. My Rena I can hear running in the fish room, but I cannot hear the Eheims at all, unless I literally put my ear right on it. They are super quiet.

Byron.
Thanks Everyone for the great responses.

@Byron:

You answered nearly all ny questions (as usual). I was looking at the EHEIM Professionel 3E canister filter, my only concern is the possibility of over filtration. Im planning on getting some fancy goldfish in the future and don't want the suction to be too strong. I know this specific model has flow control, would that be ok. Is this a legitamate concern?
MetalArm3 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Rena recently outported their factory from Germany to another country (leaving blank to prevent offense) and the quality decreased. My Aunt has the one from Germany and it is also VERY quiet mine is just quiet, from no-name country

38 gallon :
Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian Red not yet breeding pair
4 Pangio Kuhli
12 Hemmigrammus Bleheri
2 Botia Lohachata
1 Botia Straita
1 Ancistrus Sp.
6 Poecilia Reticulata




The Wet Spot Portland Oregon!!!!!!

ADA: Do!aqua Iwagumi 10 gallon size!
7 Clown Killies
7 Ghost shrimp
Christople is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Member
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
I bought an Eheim 2213 based on a recommendation from Byron awhile back, and I am very happy with it. It is so quiet that I often have to sit and stare and see that the plants near the spray bar are moving around just to be sure that it's actually running. I don't have much to add since Byron covered it all already, but I just wanted to confirm his speculation of whether the media comes included now... it does. :)
iamgray is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalArm3 View Post
Thanks Everyone for the great responses.

@Byron:

You answered nearly all ny questions (as usual). I was looking at the EHEIM Professionel 3E canister filter, my only concern is the possibility of over filtration. Im planning on getting some fancy goldfish in the future and don't want the suction to be too strong. I know this specific model has flow control, would that be ok. Is this a legitamate concern?
If the Eheim is rated for the tank volume, it will be sufficient. One must remember that filter ratings/tank size are usually meant for those with plant-less tanks. Having plants means less filtration [= filter equipment] is necessary, and adjusting the flow down is a good feature (my older model Eheims do not have this, my Rena does). Goldfish are messy fish biologically, but the Eheim rated to the tank should be adequate.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Canister filter ram50 DIY Aquarium 27 11-11-2010 04:27 PM
What new Canister Filter to Buy?? jonny steele Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 09-18-2010 09:44 PM
Canister Filter Cumminz_Dzl Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 04-13-2008 11:14 PM
canister filter help misplacedsooner Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 04-29-2007 10:25 PM
Canister filter- Which should I buy? lmeijer Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 11 03-09-2007 05:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome