10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
| || |
i have made 2 used tank perchases, the first one i was not happy with, the second one with experience really helped.
tips for buying a good used aqarium.
1) ask how old the tank is, usually a tank over 7-10 years old should be avoided, they are heavy and risk leaks an easy way to tell how old the tank is, is to look at the silicon, and make sure that is in good shape.
2) next make sure you see if full, because this will tell you if it holds water.
3) check the lighting on the hoods, tanks over 5 years old can have lighting fixtures with bad ballasts that will sound HORRIBLE.
4) when the tanks running look at the filter aswell, make sure that checks out.
5) ask what was in the tank and what they used to clean the tank, this can make a huge deal when buying one, if detergents of any kind where used I would say look at a different tank, because even the resedue of detergints is a pain in the but to get rid off.
6) If they are willing to clean the tank for you this is also a good sign as this shows they care and probably have kept the tank in decent shape in the past.