Our stand was finished this week, it is VERY sturdy... Weights over 100lbs probably. And yeah the oak plywood is 1/4in, but the support comes from the frame mostly.
I will have to get pictures!
Anyways I redecorated a lot. And we have had no casualties and yesterday (the day after the move) they ate with gusto ;)
We put the new stand in front of the old one, drained the tank half way (put the "clean" water into three 5 gallon buckets) and removed the decorations and plants (putting them into the buckets of water). After draining the tank to minimal water I scooped all the fish out and they had their own bucket. We then drained it more, and lifted it on the new stand. We took out the old one and lifted/pushed the new stand with the tank on it into position. Then we used a basically "python" hose from walmart with my faucet to fill it mostly up, then adding prime while that happened.
After the filter had ran for like 20 minutes we went and added plants from the buckets and the lava rocks and driftwood. I adjusted them a lot and ADORE the new arrangement, I feel it's much more open and natural. Oh, and before this I added more gravel...
I tempered the fish some because in the 3 hours or so their bucket had cooled to like 73 degrees and the tank is usually 78-79. After considering this I am kinda surprised no one has gone into shock at all or anything... But anyways, my betta was netted back in but we dumped the bucket with the water and fish right back into the tank haha. I left the lights off the rest of the day.
So it's day two after that, and we're still pretty good. No blooms of algae or ammonia/etc. or dead fish! So thanks to all of you guys! :)