Brown hair algae? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Brown hair algae?

Brown hair algae?

This is a discussion on Brown hair algae? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by eug Once I'm back from holidays I'd like to, after making sure everything's in good order and plants are still healthy, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Hillstream Loach
Hillstream Loach
Salt and Pepper Cory
Salt and Pepper Cory
Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
Once I'm back from holidays I'd like to, after making sure everything's in good order and plants are still healthy, add some Corydoras. I worried that my water at hardness 16 dGH and pH a bit under 8 woudl be a bit hard for them, but it seems there are enough tank-bred species out there that should cope fine from what I've read (and what you told me in my first thread here). Apart from them, I am not decided. Pristella tetras seem like a nice shoaling fish that do well in hard water, or I might put in some livebearers. The only thing is that I don't really want to deal with endless fry, so is putting in a group of all-males a good option? Please throw out other suggestions for a mid-level swimming fish.
Assuming this is a 30g tank as mentioned preivously in this thread, the Pristella are fine. The common corys will work too, Corydoras aeneus, Corydoras paleatus, Corydoras leucomelas possibly, may be a few others, check the profiles. And yes, male livebearers alone are fine to avoid fry, just bear in mind size and numbers for this tank.

For other options, some rainbowfish suit basic water, most get largish, but perhaps the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish is a possibility, check the profile. This would be a centre fish. There are a few cyprinids, would have to browse the profiles to see. Memory isn't that great with numbers.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Assuming this is a 30g tank as mentioned preivously in this thread, the Pristella are fine. The common corys will work too, Corydoras aeneus, Corydoras paleatus, Corydoras leucomelas possibly, may be a few others, check the profiles. And yes, male livebearers alone are fine to avoid fry, just bear in mind size and numbers for this tank.

For other options, some rainbowfish suit basic water, most get largish, but perhaps the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish is a possibility, check the profile. This would be a centre fish. There are a few cyprinids, would have to browse the profiles to see. Memory isn't that great with numbers.
We're veering off topic quite a bit now, so I'll make a mention that if anything the hairy growth is getting worse but it is easily removed by twirling the strands around a toothbrush. I'll just try to keep it in check like this for now and hope that as the tank matures the stuff also goes away.

More about stocking - I've been looking at lots of youtube videos and I have to say I've fallen in love with tiger barbs, but I'm afraid my tank is on the smaller side for them. It's a 30g tank, 80 cm long. From the pictures you've seen of the current setup, would you say there's enough swimming space for them? At the very least they seem to be happy in harder water. If the tank contained only corys as tankmates, would they get along fine? How many tiger barbs would I be able to keep in here?
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
We're veering off topic quite a bit now, so I'll make a mention that if anything the hairy growth is getting worse but it is easily removed by twirling the strands around a toothbrush. I'll just try to keep it in check like this for now and hope that as the tank matures the stuff also goes away.

More about stocking - I've been looking at lots of youtube videos and I have to say I've fallen in love with tiger barbs, but I'm afraid my tank is on the smaller side for them. It's a 30g tank, 80 cm long. From the pictures you've seen of the current setup, would you say there's enough swimming space for them? At the very least they seem to be happy in harder water. If the tank contained only corys as tankmates, would they get along fine? How many tiger barbs would I be able to keep in here?
As it mentions in our profile, a group of 8 tiger barb in a 30g is minimum. Corys might be OK with this, but no other upper fish. The TB will (should) be less feisty and any nipping will be confined to the group.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
Back to the original topic - many sources say high silicates cause diatoms to thrive, and after doing some research it seems Berlin's tap water, probably due to the fact that the whole city is basically built on sand, has high silicates. I haven't asked directly about the water in my district, but I've found people posting replies from the official water people for neighbouring districts saying the tap water has 14mg/L (ppm) silicates, which seems very high. I've read from other sources that 0.5mg/L silicates is enough to cause problems, so I'm not really sure what to do if this is really the case with my water.
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
Back to the original topic - many sources say high silicates cause diatoms to thrive, and after doing some research it seems Berlin's tap water, probably due to the fact that the whole city is basically built on sand, has high silicates. I haven't asked directly about the water in my district, but I've found people posting replies from the official water people for neighbouring districts saying the tap water has 14mg/L (ppm) silicates, which seems very high. I've read from other sources that 0.5mg/L silicates is enough to cause problems, so I'm not really sure what to do if this is really the case with my water.
That is an issue for some of our members, so I will let them comment on their method of handling it, since I've never had this issue. I'm trying to remember who it was that posted something on this, but can't; it was a couple months back. I think the phosphate-remover filter media was mentioned, but I can't be sure. To draw attention to this, you might want to post a new thread in this section headed silicates or something, and others will see it easier.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
Just thought I'd update this thread in case anybody else encounters similar issues. I went on holiday for 3 weeks, reduced the light timer to 6 hours a day, and hoped for the best. Before leaving, I did a large water change and did my best to remove the hair-like strands in the process. When I came back, to my delight there was hardly any of the stuff left, and the patch-like brown diatoms were also nearly gone, which supports my theory that the strand-like growth was also a form of diatoms that died off as the tank settled.

The white fungus on the wood has also died in the meantime, so I felt it safe enough to add fish. The cories after nearly 2 weeks have shown no signs of distress.
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will RCS eat hair algae? DKRST Invertebrates 6 02-26-2011 10:01 PM
Hair Algae duggus562 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 20 09-18-2010 02:40 PM
hair algae walkytalky Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 17 01-12-2009 01:07 PM
Hair algae??? closeyetfar Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 09-01-2008 12:15 AM
Is brown hair algae normal in a month old cycled tank? spinalremains Water Chemistry 9 02-06-2007 08:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.