02-04-2009, 06:41 PM
| || |
- I just re-read the thread title, and I am going to assume it is beard algae, since the othe kind doesn't look black. This stuff is near impossible to completely eradicate without removing the fish from the tank. In my tanks more frequent water changes seem to slow it down, but you are already doing pretty aggressive pwc's. I have heard Siamese Algae Eaters will eat it, but I have never tried it. If you can encourage green algae to grow, it may "crowd it out", but then you'll have green algae. You can soak decorations, filter tubes etc in a bleach solution to kill it , but it will eventually come back.
If you are looking for more information on it, look for Red Algae, as that is actually what this is, or brush algae it is sometimes called. And If you find an easy way to get rid of it please let me know, seems like it always appears in my tanks after a few years.
The only good news I have is that in a "naturally" decorated tank with wood and rocks it doesnt look too bad as long as it is kept under control. It kinda makes things look more natural- river and lake beds are seldom sterile looking. But it doesnt go well with plastic castles and the like.