Brown Algae everywhere! - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Brown Algae everywhere!

Brown Algae everywhere!

This is a discussion on Brown Algae everywhere! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> In this kind of situation, that could get quite expensive. When the problem is based on poor quality source water, that would mean the ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb
Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Brown Algae everywhere!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #31
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
In this kind of situation, that could get quite expensive. When the problem is based on poor quality source water, that would mean the algae treatments would be never ending... and the tank water would be toxic!

The danger in treating something like this with Algone or Algaefix....
The problem is in the source water, in this case it has a high nitrate level. Everytime a water change happens, the nitrate level goes up further. The algae is just the sign that there is a problem... nature's way of using up that nutrient level. If we put in a chemical to kill the algae, what happens to the nitrate level? Suddenly there is nothing to eat it up, and with every water change it goes higher and higher... until what? A dead fish. The only way to "fix" this problem is to take care of the nutrient level in the source water.
That is the difference between treating symptoms and treating the problem that is causing the symptoms.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #32
 
Dave66's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
In this kind of situation, that could get quite expensive. When the problem is based on poor quality source water, that would mean the algae treatments would be never ending... and the tank water would be toxic!

The danger in treating something like this with Algone or Algaefix....
The problem is in the source water, in this case it has a high nitrate level. Everytime a water change happens, the nitrate level goes up further. The algae is just the sign that there is a problem... nature's way of using up that nutrient level. If we put in a chemical to kill the algae, what happens to the nitrate level? Suddenly there is nothing to eat it up, and with every water change it goes higher and higher... until what? A dead fish. The only way to "fix" this problem is to take care of the nutrient level in the source water.
That is the difference between treating symptoms and treating the problem that is causing the symptoms.
Thank you, BB. Articulated my thoughts perfectly.

Dave
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #33
 
fish_4_all's Avatar
 
Well from the decription of Algone and the tetimony from members who have used it, it does remove excess nutrients and restores nutrient balance. If it does, then why would it not work not only to eliminate the alge but also reomve the cause?

I have never used anything to remove green water but when I have heard several members who say they use it to get rid of green water and have done so for years the product must do something right!.

Algone Website:
Quote:
Use Algone to correct nutrient imbalances and to clear cloudy water. Maintaining an established tank with Algone helps prevent many frustrating problems related to bad water quality. Algone helps keep the aquarium crystal clear.
http://www.algone.com/
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #34
 
Andyandsue's Avatar
 
I had a similar problem. My cure was a phosphate lowering floss and the addition of Algone, if and when I get a breakout of algae. Algone is a non-chemical algae reducer, just a pouch added to the filter basket works like a charm. It's not available at chain stores though. You need to go to LFS to purchase it. I still limit the lighting to less than 10 hours a day and I always wipe the interior of the glass at every weekly water change, but that has all worked like a charm.

No toxic water, no long-lasting problems. My tap has high phosphates so the phosphate lowering floss keeps everything at bay. The Algone did what it was supposed to do, and I tapered off so as not to create some other imbalance.
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #35
 
okiemavis's Avatar
 
I've never used Algone before, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm a huge proponent of not using chemicals whenever possible, but algone does actually seem like a good solution in this case.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #36
 
Andyandsue's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
I've never used Algone before, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm a huge proponent of not using chemicals whenever possible, but algone does actually seem like a good solution in this case.
Algone isn't actually a chemical. It's nothing but "dried plants in a pouch" and they claim some microorganisms. No chemicals though. The only chemical I've ever used is water conditioner, which now that I think of it I've heard that overuse of that can cause algae and bacterial bloom.
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #37
 
Do you think that Algone would work in my case?
Togiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #38
 
Andyandsue's Avatar
 
Yup! I sure do. It does take a few days though so keep that in mind.

I would also consider getting some phosphate removing filter media.

Continue doing water changes too. Everyday if you have to.
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #39
 
okiemavis's Avatar
 
Andy&sue- I just wanted to correct you about the water changes. I believe the problem is that the tap water comes out with such high nitrates, so frequent water changes would further feed the problem.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #40
 
Andyandsue's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Andy&sue- I just wanted to correct you about the water changes. I believe the problem is that the tap water comes out with such high nitrates, so frequent water changes would further feed the problem.
Maybe, but without testing.... I tested mine and the nitrates were 0 from the tap.
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brown algae karjean Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 03-22-2010 11:47 AM
Help with Brown Algae...... JohnnyD44 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 28 09-24-2009 01:28 PM
Brown algae jesterns2 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 03-09-2009 09:19 PM
Brown Algae el Mattador Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 01-28-2009 08:13 AM
Brown Algae? Twitch Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 05-28-2008 09:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.