11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
| || |
I moved this thread out of the old one to start its own. While the topic is connected, it is not directly related to the other problem, so it is best as a new thread. More members are likely to see it too.
To the issue, as I commented in the other thread, brush algae can be controlled mainly by light. If the light is not above what the plants can use, in intensity and duration, algae doesn't have the advantage. But before I can suggest dealing with the light, I need to know what you have in terms of the light (please be specific, include the type, number of tubes, watts, and duration). Also, what if any fertilization is being added, and how often. As tank size is important too, I will assume a 5 foot tank unless you indicate differently.
While acquiring fish to eat algae can sometimes be helpful, this can impact on the tank's biology, not be compatible with existing fish or water parameters, etc. Plus, "algae" eating fish are usually very particular in what types of algae they will eat. There are only two fish that will eat brush algae that I am aware of, and both get large and have other issues. It is always preferable to deal with the cause.